sealing exterior door openings

Started by dug, September 13, 2010, 10:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

Flashing windows seems relatively simple because of the flanges which are taped over and theoretically water tight. Door openings, which lack flanges seem a bigger challenge.

I have been unsuccessful in locating much info on this matter and the few people I've talked to around here have differing opinions.

I installed the jambs flush with the exterior wall and plan to put on some 3 in. trim around it. Would I install some metal flashing over the top trim board and just caulk the sides? What is standard door flashing procedure?

Redoverfarm

Dug on mine I used "grace" as the same with windows.  Each side first and the top last.  Depending on the gap between the rough opening and door you should be able to bridge it.  I installed the trim boards with the sides first and then the top extending them to the edges of the sides.  I followedup with breaking a piece of coil stock and inserting it into a kerf above the top trim board and allowed it to lap over the front edge.  Then caulked arouond the trim boards and then where the kerf was at.  If you are handy with breaking metal you can also break a longated "Z" to fit under the door threshold turning up on the inside and down on the outside.

MountainDon

Like he said, dug. With the building wrap at the top over the top of everything. Layered from bottom up so each layer overlap leads water to the outside.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.