shallow well in the western maine mountains

Started by das fisch, September 11, 2010, 09:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das fisch

so we are finalizing the details on the purchase of a new camp in Avon, ME (western Maine mtns).
the cabin is about 50 ft up on a ridge above the level of a large brook fed from a large pond up the valley a ways. there are water sources all over the region as well. the mtn does go higher out behind us as well.
My question is in regards to the shallow dug well on the property. the well is in the location of a much older well which was excavated and relined. I guess during the process the water intruded so quickly the had to temporarily pump out the water to complete diggin and dropping in the 24" liner. It has been dry lately and when I went up there today to do a final visit before closing we checked the depth of the well. Overall depth from bottom to top of liner was about 16 feet, depth of water was just over 3 feet. Now supposedly it is on a good flowing spring.
anyone have a similar experience to this? just wondering if i should investigate more. is there a way to deepen the hole without bringing in large equipment or heavy drilling (ie. well point maybe?)?
thanks

glenn kangiser

Hard to say - do you know what material is in the bottom?  Sand - gravel - rock?  A well point needs to be able to penetrate the formation in order to be driven without damaging it.

Pretty easy with a rig, but not so easy without heavy equipment.  It all depends on conditions.

Under the right conditions you could blow down a pipe with a decent compressor but again it is easier when you have equipment to do it.  Still dependent on what the conditions are.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.