Blackdog's Waterfront Shed

Started by blackdog, August 19, 2007, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackdog

I been more of a lurker than a contributor for a long time.  Although, I'm not contributing any advice in this post, I'd like to share a project I completed while up at the cottage these past few weeks.

We have a fairly step lot and the storage shed is located at the top of the hill close to the main cottage.  The problem is (was) that we kept all our "water stuff" (PFD's, fishing gear etc etc) up top and we'd haul it up and down as needed.  

Sometimes we'd leave things down by the water and after a while the area looked rather messy (see "before" photo).  Also, it was a PITA if you wanted something but it was up in the shed or if another bevy was required (more on that later).  

Anyhow, our solution was a waterfront shed.

There was a canoe/kayak rack already at the waterfront which was built by the previous owner.  It consisted of two 6" x 6" columns cemented in the ground with 2" x 4" x 8' runners.  I forgot to take a picture of "before", but in my first pic the rack extended to the right of the 6" x 6" columns another 4 feet.

I replaced the right side of the rack with a 8' x 6' shed.  We now have enough room to store all our water related stuff.  Plus there is room for a beer fridge.  All that remains to do is build the stairs and wire it.

All the walls were pre cut at home and went together fairly well on site.  I had to make a few adjustments here and there, but nothing major.

The type of siding was a big decision and also the biggest cost of the project.  We wanted to match the cottage siding (vertical wood lap) but at the same time do it as cheap as possible - we had to remind ourselves that it is only a shed.  We looked at vinyl and various horizontal and vertical wood lap and T1-11.  We decided on T1-11.  The lumber yard sold 3/8" and 5/8" T1-11 (they call it Chalet Pine, but the grade stamp said T1-11).  I wanted the 5/8" cause the grooves are deeper than the 3/8", but it was crap.  It was sitting, weathering for a long time.  They had a fresh load of 3/8".  I ended up going with the 3/8" Chalet Pine installed over 7/16" OSB.  Surprisingly, a sheet of 3/8" T1-11 and 7/16" OSB was cheaper than a sheet of 5/8" T1-11!!

Total cost was roughly $900 CDN.

Before:

After:

Progress Pics:
Floor

Walls

Roof

Completed Shed

Waterfront

At the top of the hill

Off the cottage deck
[/b]

jraabe

Great project and a fun tutorial in simple building!

Thanks for taking the time to post this!  :D

MountainDon

Nice picture series.A nice looking place at the lake too!

glenn-k

Very nice.  Interesting project.  Thanks. :)

blackdog

I finished my stairs last week.  I got lazy and used metal stringers.  Everything fits - deck chairs, tables, umbrellas, PFD's, paddles, water trampoline, tube, fishing gear, boat motor, gas tank...  but most importantly there is enough room for a fridge  :)