The Outhouse Thread!

Started by hpinson, April 10, 2012, 11:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpinson

The multi-stage composter that is below the outhouse.  Curious how well it works.

paul wheaton

Quote from: hpinson on September 23, 2012, 10:04:51 PM
The multi-stage composter that is below the outhouse.  Curious how well it works.

From the video:  2000 uses, still nothing has come out the bottom. 

My theory is that it can compost down to just ash.  Each time it moves down, it is effectively "turned". 

I "compost" does end up in the last bin, I would guess that they might have to go over 5000 uses to get a shovelful.

hpinson

Thanks Paul.

I was wondering-- did you notice any odor problems at the head?

There is a similar system in use near Gila Hot Springs, in New Mexico, where waste is pulled along by a home-made chain-driven rake. It smells pretty bad at the head. There are no partitions and volume of use is much higher.

This seems like a very interesting application of composting.

paul wheaton

craig

We use a "modified moldering privy" design from the NPS. The results have been amazing. There is intermittant, 2 person use at the cabin during summer and fall seasons only. The modified privy design is only slightly elevated but the base is well ventilated and there is only a shallow hole supporting the "Aerobic" concept of composting working best between 40-90 DEGF. We sprinkle a very small amount of rough sawdust after a weekend of use, definitely no lime. We use the RV style quick decomposing paper. In six months all evidence of use is gone, no residue hardly and no smell. It seems to work well with this amount of use.

hpinson

Why doesn't someone tell Bill gates about this sort of thing? I swear, they are coming up with the most BS high-tech toilets, that few could ever practically afford to build or maintain, when this sort of technology is right in front of their noses. 

Moldering Privy:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12710423/Moldering-Privy

Winner of the Bill and Melinda Gates Toilet Reinvention Contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=eVQaMsvBLb8&nomobile=1