Main Menu

Recent posts

Land Stories / Re: Tennessee Deed Modificatio...
Last post by MountainDon - August 28, 2024, 05:08:42 PM
It does not seem correct that restrictions could be changed after lots have neen sold.

I also wonder if you have a fully competent attorney.

Best of luck
Land Stories / Re: Tennessee Deed Modificatio...
Last post by jsahara24 - August 28, 2024, 12:00:17 PM
I'm not sure I can offer anything that will help you, but I can imagine it is quite frustrating.  

So it sounds like the original owner did a subdivision and put these requirements on all the created lots?  When they removed them did they remove them from your lot, or the other ones as well?  

General Forum / Re: header sizing for 8' shed ...
Last post by cbc58 - August 27, 2024, 09:16:50 AM
Thank you Don P.  That's a great website...
General Forum / Re: header sizing for 8' shed ...
Last post by Don_P - August 27, 2024, 07:21:41 AM
Making some assumptions... the door is on a 16' wall with ~14' rafters bearing half their weight on the header, half on the opposite 16' wall.

If so the area tributary to the header is ~8'x~7'=56 square feet supported by the beam. I'm in the mountains near Boone, call it 30 psf snow+10psf dead load= 56sf x40psf=2240lbs

Design for Bending (timbertoolbox.com)

I'm getting a pass with a double 2x8 in #2 SPF or better
General Forum / header sizing for 8' shed wall...
Last post by cbc58 - August 26, 2024, 06:51:11 PM
I am planning to build a shed with an 8' opening and am trying to figure out the required size of the support header.  The shed itself will be 12' wide and 16' long.  There are sizing charts but they only appear to show buildings a minimum 20' wide - not 12.  I am using 2x4's for framing.  I will probably have an 8' opening at both ends of the shed.  Build would be in NC with low snow loads.

What would I need to use for a header?  Would 3 2x8's  suffice?  Or 2 2x10's ?  Any info appreciated. 
Land Stories / Tennessee Deed Modification
Last post by Dauntless - August 26, 2024, 08:55:21 AM
Thank you in advance for any advice. This will be a bit of a story, but I cannot find any information on any legal site or via the clerk in my county.

I purchased my first property in east TN in February of '23. Semi rural, 5.5 acres. My property and the surrounding properties have deed restrictions that I desired and was happy to comply with. ie..no poultry, no business run out of home, minimum home size, home type, no living in garages or sheds, no trash pile up. Pretty standard stuff. So, to my east, I have a neighbor who has nine acres. Beyond him, another who has 8. There are three more smaller lots on the southwest side.
We all have or had these restrictions on our deeds. No HOA, as I said, pretty rural area.
Right after I moved in, the next door neighbors moved into their garage, a 30x30. They moved 7 dogs into a pen they made 60 feet from my back door. These dogs howl and bark all day long. A huge nuisance.  He began running a landscaping business out of his property, he got chickens. He let trash pile up and, despite my best effort to be reasonable and ask nicely, suggest compromises, he and his wife (who I DID get along with just fine) took offense to the fact that they were ignoring the deed restrictions and started, what I call, a neighbor war.
Alright, so fast forward. For context, I am a 100% disabled veteran. Heart failure. PTSD. Anxiety. I'm divorced, retired and have done so much work on this property. I don't want to sell it but the stress going on is unbearable. I will leave out the harassments and further drama, it's like a bad novel.

After attempting common courtesy and being stonewalled,  I had my attorney send them a request to please correct and/or come to mutually beneficial terms. They more or less ignored it. So, in order to compel them to correct the violations of the deed restrictions and allow me peaceful use of my property, I brought suit against my neighbors. They corrected the chicken situation but that was it. First they tried to hide the chickens, lol. But the chickens got out and came on my property. Busted! Anyway, they answered the lawsuit, denying everything despite the obvious nature of the violations and so it's ongoing.

So, here it is....the "big" one.

The neighbor and the one next to him, who is one of three that's being hateful, sought out the seller of the "subdivision" and had him file a "correction" to the deed.

1. No correction is on the deed, same information.

2. None of us, none of the other neighbors were consulted or advised.

3. It appears the procedure for this type of removal was not followed.

And here's the big one.

3. The original seller, dated the "correction" retroactively to the date of sale two years ago.

My attorney believes this is illegal as do the register of deeds and myself. However, I cannot find, specifically, anything that addresses this. Attorney is still researching. Retroactively?

It's an obvious attempt to circumvent the lawsuit but since they've already made partial corrections, it's our thought that this is invalid and cannot stand. They've already acknowledged violations, right?

Thoughts? Links? Anyone ever heard of anything so bizarre? Help!

General Forum / Re: Sheathing break at bottom ...
Last post by Don_P - August 23, 2024, 10:31:46 PM
I usually run it from the bottom of the sill up 8', a row of blocking, and a strip to the top plate. I've not noticed a study or anything in the design standards other than "block all edges". My thinking is put the joint high. I've also run horizontal sheathing so the bottom row could be treated. and horizontal is stronger.. then 2 rows of blocking. I hate blocking.

I've also nailed strapping alongside the anchor bolt holes on the bottom of the sill. Leave it sticking out while you frame and then bend it up and nail to the rim and sole and stud if possible, then sheath.

I did one a couple of years ago where we felled the trees, sawed the lumber and sheathing and diagonally sheathed the walls with 1x6's. which was very strong. the bottom edge had a critter gap every 6". I went through several tubes of caulk. I like the concept especially with inflation in materials, but not the gaps.

Edit; The critter gap on the end of a diagonal 1x6 would occur every 6" x 1.414= 8.484"
General Forum / Re: Sheathing break at bottom ...
Last post by MountainDon - August 23, 2024, 06:36:42 PM
The OSB sheathing in 4x9 and 4x10 sizes and is the best solution. Maybe not at your local big box store, but some near me carry them, or one or the other in addition to the usual 4x8. 
General Forum / Sheathing break at bottom plat...
Last post by rothbard - August 23, 2024, 10:15:38 AM
On 8' walls one has a conundrum in sheathing over rim joists.

You can sheath vertically, and end up exactly one 4x8 sheathing board vertical around the house, however this would have no overhang onto the rim joist / foundation below.  You can also use 9' or larger sheets, but those are difficult to source in my area.

I was thinking of using metal lateral tie plates and then sheathing the rim joist+sill plate separately from the wall, then joining the sheathing with the tie plates or straps for uplift trace from the bolted sill plate to the walls (I also used rafter ties on the joists to tie the joists and everything connected to them down to the foundation anchors as well).

Just curious if anyone else came across this issue and how you solved it.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - August 20, 2024, 09:43:23 AM
Going back up this weekend and it looks like it might be perfect for falling trees, sawmilling and working in the back room!