GRACO Magnum 7 paint sprayer ?

Started by Windpower, March 15, 2009, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

Anyone have any experience with these ?

I am thinking of buying one because we are going to have to paint the interior of this house before  sale and then there is the barndominium job coming up

seems like it should pay for itself with time savings if it works well

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100634350&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100634350&cm_mmc=shopping-_-google-_-D24X-_-100634350
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Jens

I think that is the one that I have, although this one is the new look version.  I paid about $500 for mine, have only used it once I think, woth every penny!

If you are running open rafters (no soffits), and want a different color than your siding, prime and paint with the sprayer before you do your siding and roofing, then use a spray shield and some care when spraying your siding.  Still have to touch up a bit probably, but easier than brushing.  If body and eaves are same color, spray it all before roofing, if you can, that way you don't have to worry about overspray on the roof.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Windpower

Thank you Jens

It looked good but it is not a trivial investment

I think I'll go for it -- they also have a roller attachment that should reduce or eliminate overspray

Mandres

Something to keep in mind is how much more paint the sprayers use/waste compared to rolling.  I read somewhere that you can plan to use 1.5 - 2x or more paint to get the job done because of overspray.  Heck of a lot easier than doing it by hand though.

cfabien

I have the little brother to that unit, the Graco Magnum DX which is a homeowner/handyman oriented model. It's done well for me, it's painted 3 houses a fence and some ceiling tiles. It's a little underpowered for thick exterior paint, hard to get a really even spray pattern, but it's acceptable. They do use more paint, both due to losses in priming/cleanup and in overspray. I would guess it's closer to 1.5x than 2x. I have not tried to use it indoors and I don't think I would unless I had an entire house to paint and it was completely empty. And even then the prep work might nullify the time savings. I know builders usually use them to spray new homes, but that is done before trim and flooring is installed.

Windpower

For the inside I am planning to use a roller adapter that pumps paint into the roller

I used a really cheap wagner power roller a few times --- way faster than loading the roller in the  pan

just keep on rolling until you get tired or done and no overspray

Windpower

WOOO HOOO !

just drove home with a MAG Pro XR 9

new in box

$659 at the big orange store

$400

Craig's list comes through again

felt sorry for the guy (drywaller/painter)  he said the jobs just stopped about a month ago

he just bid on a single replacement drywall panel in Chicago finished and painted $38

Jens

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!