Log Siding Questions

Started by suburbancowboy, April 10, 2012, 02:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbancowboy

I can finally get to my cabin now and I am now ready to start the siding.  I had planned on using the hardie siding, but in the past couple of weeks I have really started to fall in love with log siding.  The cost is about $1000 dollars difference but I love the log look.  A couple of questions for the experts.

1. What is the yearly upkeep of the siding?  Will it need to be sprayed every year?

2. Fire code says I have to have 5/8 sheet rock between it and the osb.  I will then apply more house wrap between the sheet rock and the log siding.  Will there be any durability problems if the sheet rock stays dry?

3. How does it hold up over time.

jackel440

i wish I could tell you about the up keep.I know I wanted it for my cabin ,but I just couldn't swing the extra $$$$ difference.I ended up getting treated t1-11 for mine.Matter in fact got two walls done and I'm happy with it.
I do agree that log looking siding is nice.

rdzone

I am not familiar with your firecode, but I wouldn't use regular dry wall as if it gets wet it will be a mess.  If you have to use a gypsum based product I would go with DensGlass Sheathing.

see the link below.

http://www.gp.com/build/densglass-fiberglassmat-sheathing
Chuck

MountainDon

We put Hardie plank siding on our cabin in 2008. Our neighbor down the hill used the 2x milled log siding in 2005. When we were deciding on what to use for our cabin exterior my wife was all for using the same type of 2x milled log siding. In the end I won and now Karen is happy I did.

My argument was, "do you remember the time spent maintaining the cedar fencing, before we bit the bullet and painted it with a heavily pigmented stain?"

Now, I may have more of an inherent lazy streak when it comes to some things than other folks. I really enjoy building things. Our cabin was a labor of love and joy. But I only like to build/do things once if I can. I don't mind repainting walls after ten years or more, but I don't like to be required to do much more than that to maintain appearances. I/we built our cabin to enjoy the cabin and the mountains.

About two years ago I began to notice the finish deterioration of our neighbors log siding. I'm not sure what product was used but it needed some maintenance it never received at least two years ago. There is discoloration in many places. I suppose that if the finish had received more maintenance it would look better today.

So while I can't directly address the issue of how much maintenance will be necessary for milled log siding, I am very happy we used Hardie cement fiber siding. We used top quality paint and I think we'll be into the next decade before I'll need to think about any maintenance.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

oifmarine

My in-laws have a log cabin that is just logs with no stick framing and they are supposed to treat the outside  every 4-5 years.

rocking23nf

i didnt put any fire retardant behind mine, just housewrap and existing plywood.

(not that i enquired if I needed anything behind it)

I prestained all boards, and yes probably 4-5 years will need restaining, more so the areas in the direct sun.

Its really easy to install, and was a really fun job. (other then the high points on my 20 foot tall a-frame)

Danfish

Our cabin house was built in 1932 with milled 1/2 log siding.  As far as I can tell it has always been finished with a pigmented paint, usually refinished every 7 years.  No signs of wood deterioration...this is in snow country.

As for fire-proof construction and drywall underlayment, several companies make an exterior gypsum board (USG Corp, National Gypsum Co., Pabco Gypsum).  It is covered under ASTM standard C1396.  It may be a bit difficult to find a local supplier, but with the growing push to wildland fire codes availability should improve.  It is cheaper than some of the interior water resistant boards.

MountainDon

I made an assumption in my thoughts, my reply.  That was that the milled log siding would be clear or lightly stained/oiled/varnished and NOT painted. I have little problem with good paint on anything.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Nice looking place Danfish.

suburbancowboy

I think that I will keep the natural look so I will be putting some kind of sealer and or polyurithane or gloss on.  Even if I have to spray on a new coat every other year I think that it will be worth it.