victoria Cottage questions

Started by tcampbell, March 20, 2013, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcampbell

We were set on the 1.5 story with a full upstairs until I saw Pat Abbe's victoria cottage. He redid the floor plan and made everything much more spacious. I was wondering if I should buy the plan from this site and make the changes needed on the sister site or Pat gave me a copy of his floor plan. Would it be cheaper or easier to take his floor plan and have someone local draw up the plans with a few changes? I want to go the cheapest route possible. This is assuming that I could make changes on the sister site. I am a little confused as to how you can still use the original floor plans with a new one cut and pasted on? Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or comments, please help.

rick91351

A lot has to do with where it is built.  If it needs an engineers stamp.  That said no matter who, what or where it is built or if you are just going to use the concept.  I feel it would be a good idea to purchase the plan from this site.  That helps keep this forum up and running and gives John some thing to do.   ;)

To have it redrawn and engineered if where you build needs a wet stamped that is going to cost you a $K to two K.  Even maybe more depending how large you want to stretch it.

Of all the small houses I have researched I absolutely feel the Victoria's Cottage is best I have ever came across.  I like the lines and the balance.  I so want to build one.  However it is to small for our personal residence or so my wife feels and I have to sort of agree.  This leads to us expanding it.  When I have attempted to expand it.  To me, I feel it looses a lot of its petite charm and lines.  It is a harder and more expensive build than your basic 1.5 story with a full upstairs.               

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

tcampbell

So are you saying that I can't buy the plan on this site and extend it on the sister site and use those plans for construction? I know that the construction will be more difficult than the 1.5 story but I like the look and custom feel of Pat Abbe's build. I think his thread is victoria cottage in montana.

rick91351

I'm sorry you took it that way.  Makes no diff where it is purchased either site.

I know the thread you are referring to.  I feel it is a very good adaption of the Victoria Cottage.  However I just really like the way John designed it.  I have spend hours stretching and bumping and pulling and growing the VC and I feel I fail on all levels to do it justice.  I have stayed up nights building it in my head.  Drawing and redrawing it and it is hard to improve on it.  Just will not work for us.........  :D

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.