hip roof connectors

Started by davidj, September 22, 2009, 12:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidj

I'm currently framing the roof of the 6'x18' porch on my 20'x30'.  It's 4:12 pitch hip roof sitting on 6"x8" beams on 3 sides and is designed for 100psf snow load.

My drawings don't have any details of the connectors for the jack rafters.  They're 2x8's connecting to a double 2x10 hip.  Is it normal to use Simpson LS70s for this (I assume with 3"x10d nails through to the main rafter on the jack end of the connector)?  The longest jack is 5' and they're on 24" pitch.

Or do I need to order custom skewed/slopes hangers?

Thanks.

Don_P

Let's see how much we're trying to support. The longest jack is 5', I assume you meant the rafters are on 24" centers. 2'x5'x100 psf=500 lbs. The wall will support half the jack, the hip will support the other end. We're worried about the connection from jack to hip, it needs to be good for 250 lbs... take four 16D nails and call me in the morning  ;D. I've had inspectors who want to see some steel there, I've always used the skewable framing angle in that case and gotten their blessing, there is a fancier hanger but this is small taters. The hip itself needs good support  ;).