i own plans!!

Started by tesa, April 02, 2009, 06:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesa

well, almost. i prefer to place my order my phone, and i think its too late today due to the time
differance

daniel and i have decided to go with the 1 1/2 story and we'll add 10' to make it 20x40, with a 10' porch
along the long axis wall, using that as our enterance

we're so excited!! i wish i would have called earlier but forgot about the time being different :(

hopefully i can figure out how to post our floorplan once we get the details hashed out

everyone here has been so helpful, i just can't thank you all enough, and we so look forward
to beginning construction

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

MikeT

If you were going to order from John, he is on the west coast, so he might have been around until 5 pm Pacific/8 p.m. Eastern.  If it is any solace, with the weekend, so close, you likely wouldn't get them until Monday either way....

Congratulations on a decision, regardless.

Let the fun begin....

tesa

thanks, and yes, i'm ready for the "fun" to begin

i've already used up several sheets of graph paper, sketchin' floorplans

i know the mail takes time, i can wait [waiting]

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

MikeT

I know lots of folks here use the computer assisted programs, but I took John's plans, some graph paper, and then trace paper, and had a blast.  There is something I really enjoy about the hand sketching--I find it very fulfilling...

m

PS: an architect's or engineer's ruler (the three sided ones with multiple scales) is great to have as well.

MountainDon

I have used paper and pencil for decades. I have a couple computer programs and while the 3D images are cool I prefer the hand drawn drawings I produce. Probably just because that's what I learned way back. IF you are interested in pursuing the paper route invest in some vellum tracing paper. Office supply stores have it. I use 11 x 17" pads. There is a light blue grid on the reverse that shows through as guide lines. It is a very erasable paper; it does not wear through with frequent erasing.

You can also photocopy John's plans, make a few copies. Then cut and paste, draw, etc. Then photocopy the end result and you have your plans.

Mike is right on about the architect's scale; very handy tool. That and a good right angle triangle and some fine lead mechanical pencils.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

I work at Reed College and from the 1940s to the 1980s, there was a huge tradition of calligraphy--everything on campus was hand lettered.  The alumni from that time talk about how helpful it was to engage in the slow, deliberate use of the hand to make beautiful letters--a great counterbalance to the rigors of daily studying.

In a way, that is how I look at the hand drawings of my plans.  I work at a desk during the day, sitting at the computer.  It is a great antidote to that routine that I can create and modify with my brain and my hands.

mt

glenn kangiser

I learned drafting - millions? of letters repeated millions of times -- Taft High School -Lincoln City --- I draw my stuff by hand too, and most of it not very good.  d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

WoodSprite

Quote from: MikeT on April 02, 2009, 10:32:21 PM
I work at Reed College and from the 1940s to the 1980s, there was a huge tradition of calligraphy--everything on campus was hand lettered.  The alumni from that time talk about how helpful it was to engage in the slow, deliberate use of the hand to make beautiful letters--a great counterbalance to the rigors of daily studying.

Well that's interesting.  My wonderful hubby let me download and mess around with all sorts of software - for months, mind you - before sitting down quietly with a triangle and a pencil one morning and producing a beautiful four-page architectural drawing that looks like it was done by a professional.  It certainly blew the inspector away; this is a tiny town, and I guess most folks either show up with a scrawl on a dirty napkin or don't bother at all.

Hubby, in case you hadn't guessed, went to Reed in the 80's.
The Chronicle of Upper Tupper
This place was made by doing impractical things we could not afford at the wrong time of year.   -Henry Mitchell

tesa

i did mess around with sketchup last night a bit, but found it, well, i'm not sure what the
word is, it was not really blessed with the "human touch", for lack of a better term

today, i plan to do some hand sketching

i noticed the stock appliance applications didn't really have usable blocks, and i found the
countertops in their kitchen application didn't fit at all into our plans for our kitchen,

it was fun, but today, its pencil and paper for me

oh, and their stairs, either too huge, or not the right shape, so i'd have to hand draw
those anyway

wake up john!! i'm dying to buy my plans!!

rise and shine!! :)

tesa

John Raabe

Yikes!
You were up at 4:23 am my time banging on my door. d*

Your plans are on their way today!

For many people hand drafting is a much more intuitive way to layout their house. Here is a little article I did about doing the site map and working with a copy machine to get plan ideas from other sources.

http://www.countryplans.com/landkit/copier.htm

None of us are as smart as all of us.

tesa

it was so nice to finally chat with you! you've been such a big help in the decission making
process

as stated earlier in another post, i'd bake you a cake, if it would make it in the mail!!

and yes, i was up at the crack of dawn today, for some reason, i couldn't go back to sleep
after daniel left for work

and its nice and quiet if tia sleeps in, so i like to enjoy at least one cup of coffee in peace

tesa