A couple questions about framing

Started by Bishopknight, November 21, 2008, 02:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopknight

I ordered the wood for the south facing side of my house today. I may be able to start framing sunday.  I had a couple of questions though if anyone is willing to take a shot at one or all of them.

The front span of my house is 40' , but my lumber yard only had 16' 2x6 beams. Is it alright to use 2 16' plates with an 8 ft plate in the middle? I plan on alternating the 2nd top plate for strength as well as having the plywood shealthing contact the 2nd top plate. Can I assemble the wall in 2, 16' pieces and have the 2nd top plate join them?

I have anchor bolts 4' apart, I'm using PT 2x6 lumber ( 2 16's and 1 8' ) for the bottom plate. After snapping my chalk lines, do I predrill the PT sills for the bolts and make sure they fit and are square and straight? Then frame the wall using them as the bottom plate and lift them onto the anchor bolts when the wall is ready?

PS: Here is a picture of the architectural framing with allowances for the window rough openings.

MountainDon

Mark and drill the holes for the plate bolts. Then frame the wall on the floor so it can tipped and and then placed over the bolts. If you have three bottom plates 16, 8 and 16 ft I would build the wall in three pieces. You can build them in sections with the stud where they joine left out and placed and nailed in after the wall is erect.

The upper (top) plate would be placed in such a way that it overlaps each joint by 4 feet minimum. It also ties corners together.

Hope that helps.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Bishopknight

MountainDon

Remember, you'll make a better wall if you assemble it with any bow in the studs, convex out. The top and bottom end of the studs will sit on the floor rather than rock back and forth.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.