Loft ladder

Started by new land owner, December 06, 2016, 04:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

Has anyone tried to builds their own movable loft ladder? I looked at the prices for library ladder parts and they cost more than I am willing to spend.  I saw this design and was going to try and duplicate.  Thoughts.

ChugiakTinkerer

Wow, I hadn't ever priced a library ladder before.  Yowza, they are awfully proud of those products!

I don't like the design you show though, because it relies on a wood shelf that doesn't offer enough strength to satisfy me.  If I were to mimic this design I would use steel U-channel oriented with the open part up.  Bolt or screw the channel to the wall or frame.  Wood fascia could be put on the bottom and outside for a warmer appearance.  Use fixed casters like shown, and also put flush mounted casters oriented at 90 degrees, so they roll against the wall face too.  Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll try to put up a sketch tonight to make it clearer.

One thing that I think the library ladder kits provide are braking wheels at the base of the ladder.  When enough weight is applied, the wheel locks into place and won't roll.  For the safety of the ladder user this seems like an important consideration.  Ladders should be given appropriate respect.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

new land owner

Good points, I can see how using angle Iron would work and I will have to think of some kind of brake.

Thanks.

MushCreek

Maybe you could use the type of casters they use on rolling ladders, like in places like Home Depot. With weight, the casters retract so that the ladder can't roll.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

new land owner

That was what I was thinking as well. Once the ladder is moved into position when you step in the first step the rollers would retract and the ladder would not move.