Fall Protection and Safety Harnesses

Started by ChugiakTinkerer, November 01, 2016, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChugiakTinkerer

I've been reading all the progress in the Owner-Builder threads and am in violent agreement about keeping the forces of gravity at bay.  I'd welcome discussion or pointers about the safety harness and other fall protection that you all have employed, and what works best and what doesn't.  My local pro hardware store has harnesses that range from $200 on up to $600, and that is just the harness.  At the other end of the spectrum, I see the big box stores sell "system in a bucket" kits in the neighborhood of $100.  Any thoughts or opinions on the topic?
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

NathanS

I'd never go on a roof without a harness.

My wife and I both used system in a bucket for $100, and they worked fine for us. Last fall Lowes sold Werner, and the rope was maybe 50 feet long, easily touching the ground while being latched in on the roof peak. We bought my wife a harness this summer and they switched brands. The new one works fine, but the rope is only like 20 feet long.. so you couldn't hook onto the peak and work off a ladder or something. Honestly having 2 different rope lengths came in handy at times, because one thing you have to watch out for is getting tangled in all the cords.

The other thing with a harness is be very aware that if you have too much slack and slide off the roof, you might not be able to rescue yourself. So if you are working alone be absolutely positive you will never slide off the roof if you slip. Better advice is to not work alone but often that is just not an option.

I believe some of the more expensive systems will automatically take tension out of the cord. Not really sure, if I was a pro I would have that stuff, but I felt my bucket system got the job done.

Also I can't tell you how often when walking around on the roof I'd even hold the rope for sort of a third point of contact. Additionally, we did not close off the top 2ft piece of sheathing until the metal roof was completed for each 8 ft section, this way instead of constantly moving the metal bracket we could just wrap the rope around the ridge board and rafters. At the very end, when putting on the ridge cap, we tied the rope to each side of the eave, and then when I straddled the ridge if I slid off either way, one of the ropes would catch me. That was the idea anyway.

MushCreek

I bought a system in a bucket; about $60 on ebay (new). It seems to have all sorts of official looking certifications. Before I started my build, I had an episode of vertigo, which left me extremely cautious working off of the ground. I used the harness faithfully, and held the rope when moving around. The biggest nuisance was changing the length constantly as I worked on different parts of the roof. I had my tin roof installed at a ridiculously low price ($1500!), so I let them do it. They walked around on the slick tin with no safety equipment. When they fastened the edge, their heels were literally hanging over the edge, some 20' off of the ground. Ummm.. no thanks. Now that the house is done, I'm seriously thinking about selling my 28' extension ladder so that I'm never tempted to go up there again.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

ChugiakTinkerer

Thanks for the input.  I was wondering about the need for adjusting the slack.  Is there some hardware on these package solutions that allows that, or are your untying and retying knots to take or let out slack? 

Danfish

Rock climbers and vertical rescue professionals use a prusik knot to adjust slack or climb vertical surfaces, simple and avoids mechanical devices.

NathanS

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on November 02, 2016, 10:52:16 AM
Thanks for the input.  I was wondering about the need for adjusting the slack.  Is there some hardware on these package solutions that allows that, or are your untying and retying knots to take or let out slack?

It is integrated into the harness. I don't know all the terminology, but there is a metal clamp that you can squeeze with one hand to let the rope in and out. It can be done with one hand. I can take a picture for you later this week if you want.

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: NathanS on November 02, 2016, 04:36:44 PM
It is integrated into the harness. I don't know all the terminology, but there is a metal clamp that you can squeeze with one hand to let the rope in and out. It can be done with one hand. I can take a picture for you later this week if you want.

Thanks but no need.  I'm a long ways away from needing this gear, just want to know what I should be looking for.  I had originally thought I might invest in some tree-climbing gear that could serve double duty.  The more I look into it that seems unwise, as the harnesses and ropes are different.

DaveOrr

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on November 02, 2016, 10:52:16 AM

I also have the bucket system from Home Depot.
On your tether there is a one way clamp that allows you to adjust your length.
I purchased a couple more roof anchors so I have 3 of them on my roof and can keep my lead fairly short.
If mine wasn't @ the cabin I would take pics for ya.

No knots in the system at all. ;)
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca