Plumbing vent for kitchen sink

Started by grover, July 04, 2014, 08:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover

I have a window above my kitchen sink and I've found 3 ways of running the vent. 
#1-Studor valve.  Not sure if it meets code in my area but it is not liked by too many plumbers. 

#2- Drill hole for vent line through the 3 studs on the side of the window and then go up as usual.  Not looking forward to putting a 2 inch hole in 3 sandwiched studs.  I think any horizontal vent line is supposed to be 6 inches above the flood line which in this case is 36 inches from the floor.  This puts me up just under the bottom of the window.

#3-Arm over the drain line to the side of the window and then go into the wall and up.  My window is pretty wide, maybe 32 inches plus the framing and if I use a standard sink base I think they are 36 inches.  I think this means the arm of the drain will have to go through the side of the sink base before it goes into the wall and up. 

I think I like option #3 because it will get me around the wall studs.  Am I correct in thinking the sink base is not wide enough to arm over before going into the wall?
What have you guys done in this situation?

flyingvan

I can't visualize option #3.  I went with option #2 but had pre-drilled the holes while framing that wall.  Air Admittance valves are an awesome shortcut, and the newer ones are supposed to be good for 30 years---the only ones I've heard of failing got chewed on by rodents, so avoid any cheese flavored valves I guess.
    I'd ask the inspector if they are allowed, and plan for the day when it needs to be replaced.  Most likely they'll outlast the sink anyway.  Easy to install and save space without hacking into your framing...Just remember your net through-roof venting area has to end up equal to or greater than that of the main drainpipe for the house, and an AAV will decrease that area.  I also wonder if a really tight house with a negative pressure from vent fans and fireplaces will allow sewer gases in---I kind of doubt it since water is so much heavier than air
Find what you love and let it kill you.

rick91351

Here gover it was drill baby drill..... ;)  Then up..... and drill some more then reinforced.  The plumber wanted to leg it over to a common vent pipe that was going up toward the peek of the house.  His son did the math and would not have been code do to distance and volume I think was the reasoning?   ???  I did not understand it!  So they opted to run another vent pipe.  Inspector turned out he liked the plumbers idea of going to the common even though he agreed with the sons math.... 

Number one is not allowed here.....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.