Dow SafeTouch Insulation

Started by Arky217, January 03, 2011, 11:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

What's the story on Dow's SafeTouch polyester insulation ?
How's it compare to fiberglass and cellulose ?
Would you use a vapor barrier with it for western Arkansas climate ?
If so, which side should the barrier face for this climate ?

Thanks,
Arky

MountainDon

Quote from: Arky217 on January 03, 2011, 11:28:40 PM

Would you use a vapor barrier with it for western Arkansas climate ?

No idea about the insulation product. As for vapor barrier just off hand I don't know if you are hot & humid class or mixed humid; I think mixed humid...

You can check that on climate maps at DOE or buildingscience.   Do you or will you air condition the interior? If so, most likely there should be no vapor barrier on the inside of the walls, but a weather resistant barrier on the outside. That would need some research as to the climate zone class.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

325ABN

Squirl

My research is that it is a type of polyester fiber.  It is almost identical in weight, form, installation, and insulation value as fiberglass.  I can't seem to get the exact figures on the R value per inch.  It has a rating of R-19 for a 2x6 stud, but so does fiberglass, but fiberglass loses R-value when crammed to 5.5 inches.  It is twice the cost, but there are many factors which may make it worth it. 
1.) If you are doing a very small area and the additional cost is small compared to aggravation saved.
2.) If you are going to have it exposed in an area for a while.
3.) You are working in a very hot environment, and don't want to deal with the added protection when dealing with fiberglass.

My family worked for Johns Manville and I was told they treated fiberglass as just as dangerous to your health as asbestos.