Advice on floor insulation?

Started by DirtyLittleSecret, April 27, 2010, 11:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyLittleSecret

Maybe I'm overdoing it, but wanted to get your guys' advice on insulating my floor joists.  I've seen people use a vapour barrier (ie: 6mm plastic sheeting) under the insulation, but this is in a moist environment, and am concerned with molds, mice, etc.  Thus far my thoughts are in the following order...please add any advice/comments!

Seal the joists with a polyurethane oil based paint
R30 faced fibreglass insulation (facing up towards the heat)
tyvek as a semi-breathable layer (or is it better to not use any barrier for ventilation?)
1/4" hardware cloth
another layer of plastic sheeting as ground cover for additional moisture control
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

cbc58

Ndrmyr

Have you tried googling to see if you have any sellers of factory seconds foam board.  Here in N. IL. I have two within driving distance. One of them sells 4" thick 4' x 8' sheets for $17. Also sells 1" thick 15" wide, 10' 6" long strips for $2 ea.  If you could find access to a similar deal, you could insulate with foam board and caulk em in. No worry of moisture and the like. Just a thought.  Even using damaged sheets, strips can be cut out, often getting two strips out of a damaged 4x8 sheet. Damaged foam doesn't sell for much.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

cbc58

just learned that hardware cloth IS wire mesh.  never knew that.... 

DirtyLittleSecret

Quote from: Ndrmyr on April 28, 2010, 06:24:48 AM
Have you tried googling to see if you have any sellers of factory seconds foam board.  Here in N. IL. I have two within driving distance. One of them sells 4" thick 4' x 8' sheets for $17. Also sells 1" thick 15" wide, 10' 6" long strips for $2 ea.  If you could find access to a similar deal, you could insulate with foam board and caulk em in. No worry of moisture and the like. Just a thought.  Even using damaged sheets, strips can be cut out, often getting two strips out of a damaged 4x8 sheet. Damaged foam doesn't sell for much.

I actually did just that, and called some of the refridgeration companies as well as wholesalers to see if anyone had some junkers.  Thanks for the thought!
Im thinking about forgoing the housewrap to gain ventilation.  Going to get this done in a few days.

DirtyLittleSecret

DirtyLittleSecret

Rotator cuff is VERY sore today.  While the electrician was doing the rough wiring I got busy underneath.

So, what I decided on and will find out over the years whether it was wise or foolish:

Schlacked the floor rafters with Verathane
set R30 fibreglass insulation VB up
stapled tyvek to the base of the rafters and cut slits into the material to allow it to breathe
tacked 1/4" hardware cloth for a tight finish
reinforced all corners where the hardware cloth meets my posts (post pier foundation) with 2x4PT to tighten it all up and close any potential "gaps"

rocking23nf

Hardware cloth sucks, I put it under my cabin, I would never want to do that again. So many cuts and scrapes everywhere.