Started by youngins, March 15, 2007, 10:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Yes , sorta sad eh  ;D ;D

glenn-k

Can't leave you alone with my quotes for a minute, PEG. :-? ;D

youngins

Yous Texan's must be burnin money to cool off  ;D

Actually, we are right now only expending about 200 kilowatt hours ($34) a month for electric.  The Solar Shades are one of the best investments we have ever made. Initially cost us $350 to cover 6 windows and the sliding glass door screen.

We keep the AC at a comfortable 73. Ceiling fan in living room is always running.

MountainDon

QuoteI don't know anything about football, PEG. ;D
You sure got THAT right, Glenn.   ::)

Hey Chris, looking great!  When's the first sleep-over?

youngins

Thanks-I would love to get it done by Ceili's birthday, which in October.

youngins

Wall Framing

Rough opening for air conditioner in east wall has been completed as well as cap plates on end walls.

Next steps:
1. Finish cap plates
2. Sheath walls
3. Start roof

youngins

While waiting for Wendy to give me more money to purchase materials, I went through and updated the design in the cad:

North-east corner view

South-west corner view:

youngins

Wall Framing / Sheathing

Productive weekend:

Saturday I got cap plates installed on the South...:

and North walls:

Also sheathed West wall:

Glenn suggested placing a 2x4 level along the sub-floor frame to hold sheathing up which worked out really good:

Today, spent a lot of time in the sun:

Youngin's tool of the day:

glenn-k

There -- that makes it feel different. :)

We use angle iron supports similar to the 2x4 when siding steel buildings if they don't have a similar closure angle at the bottom.  Anything to help keep things in place until firmly fastened.

Pa_Kettle

Ah, mucho progress.   Looking good.  I thought you had to run wood sheathing at the corners (or inletted cross braces) to use that black sheathing.  Is the stuff you are using different?  Or maybe if the structure is small enough it doesn't matter.

PK

youngins

THANKS

Fiber Brace - I thought I would give it a try. Here is the install doc:

http://www.temple.com/fbbuild/fbinstal.html

"To be in compliance as a bracing panel, a full sheet must begin within 12.5' of the corner as per IRC 602.10 or it must begin within 8' of the corner as per IBC 2308.9.3"

As you said - this structure is small enough that the city is not requiring a permit/inspection for. However, this was much easier stuff to work with than wood. I did not have much luck with a utility knife for trimming - but the tiger saw made short work of it.

Only downside is the filler inside gets everywhere. I may duct tape/ flash the cut edges to prevent them from perpetually spewing fiber material all over.

MountainDon

Looking like a real building Chris!   :)

DirtyLittleSecret

Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

MountainDon

The sad news is that we are not likely to see any further progress on this project. Over a year ago one day I noticed Chris was online and I sent him a Hello as he had been absent a while. He told me he was having some family difficulties at the time. He's not been online since.

All the best Chris.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Bummer deal. :(

Thanks for the update even though it's not very good news. I had asked Glenn some time back if he had any intel on this one.

Hope things work out OK in the long run.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

And he came so far along too.  He was a fun guy.  Not a fungi. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.