28x28 chalet

Started by bigweights, April 06, 2012, 01:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigweights

Can anyone give me an idea how much it would cost to built this 28x28 1 1/2 story?  heres the link http://houseplansandmore.com/homeplans/houseplan032D-0525.aspx
I will have a full basement, I live in upstate ny, right next to the canadien border.  Thanks

Rensmif

There is a cost to build estimator on the link you provided, perhaps you missed it, the cost to actually build that house will be dependant on how much you are able to do yourself.

alex trent

The cost estimator in that site is not real useful...but could scare the uninformed away.

It is $135 a sq. foot....$186,000 in Gainesville FL for this house.

Average in USA is listed at about $120 for a house like this.  BUT....the  $120 includes 30K for an architect and 40K for general contractor....$70K of the total. Given just this...makes the total for this 116K, which is reasonable. Assumes you do not do any of the work that subcontractors will do. A good place to start, no matter what you wind up doing.

Assume you need some professional "general contractor" type help and hire it out at 10K for the job and that is more reasonable.

As you get down the road, I suggest you make a list of the main building materials and cost them out.  not all that hard to do and a bit of fun too.

Then get plumbing, septic and electrical costs as subcontractors. They are pretty much a "must'.

At that point see where you come out...if at 80K you are on target to do it at $116K

rick91351

Locally can you build with those plans?  We can in the valley.  You get up in the snow country and they are redrawn and engineered and adds two to three grand if you shop around.  Can go way higher than that like $10,000. 

Are there utilities tied to the land or will you have to supply a well and septic?

If you are going to have to do your own septic system has it passed a peck test?  If not can the house go where you want it.  Seems most of us find you always plan you septic first and then plan around it.  Your well has to be set back from the septic.  So this give you an idea if you can build what you want to build.  Reason is some times soil does not perk where you need it to. 

Is it easily accessible?  Are you going to have to build roads?  More buck$$$

What is the cost of cement there?  It is scary what they are tacking on now, out of zone charges and fuel surcharges, unloading times and you name it they got a charge for it.

What is permitting going to cost?  Here it is not bad, but some areas they and the requirements are now turning into deal beakers.  I was informed by the local inspector the other day.  It looked like to him pretty much DIY isolation is not doable in new dwelling construction any more.  Idaho took some Obama bucks for energy conservation.  So new home construction has to have more paperwork and audits and inspections. 

You are the only one that can answer how you want it finished, lighting, electrical, woods and flooring.  One mans shanty is another mans castle so to speak.  You are the only one that can truly cost out your dwelling.  I will say it will run somewhere between $60 and $120 per square foot depending on your tastes and skill level.  I would look closer to a min of $100 per sf.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

alex trent

If you think about all the reasons you maybe cannot do this, you will not.

I would say that a perc test is a ways down the path from just trying to figure out the basic cost, as you are here.  If you cannot afford to build it at any cost, a perc test is not a concern...if you are going to build it goes on your list of things to find out about before you commit to digging the foundation, or maybe even buying the land. That is not an obstacle..it is part of the process.

A good place to start is to talk to some locals and see what your local obstacles or special considerations may be.  I am sure they are very different (and I would guess not as challenging) as being at 5,000 in Idaho.

Rick is right on one thing....the cost range is mighty big depending on what you need, want and can do yourself.  Any "house" cost estimate needs to include all the non-house stuff, like road, septic, etc which I am sure you know.  But it is good to have a clear definition of it, as that can be a lot of money or just a bit.

rick91351

One reason I do bring up septic so much is many people do not know how it can change your plans.  We have one friend that they tried to put in a small subdivision just before the building bust.  His peck tests on a couple lots were declined.  No where could they work a conventional septic in.

Our septic system went in about a hundred yards from where we intended to build.  We were so lucky we could roll with the flow.  We had two perk inspections declined and I don't know how many holes we dug we knew would not work. 

Me and the spetic inspector got to know one another real well.  ;)  Finally I said,  "Marty you tell me where to dig next, I own 640 acres here.  We will find a spot."  He said,  "I can not tell you that."  I grinned at him and said,  "You have told me everywhere I cannot build.  Tell me where I can."  We went for a little walk, and he said,  "This looks real good right here.  Tell Pat to dig here."  He did, it was a good hole.  But like I say like 100 yards from where were wanted at the time.  He said he could have spect one where we wanted to build but we would not have been impressed with the cost and up keep.

It is just good to know what it is going to cost.  Wells are the same way.  I have one well that is 300 ft and it produces just what it did at 40 ft.  It is so little we have a one gallon per minute restrictor on that pump.  I have springs that are running five gallons a minute and cost me almost nothing to put in or maintain.       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

bigweights

I will be doing almost all the work myself.  I will contract out the basement, and thats pretty much it.  I will have my buddys give me a hand when they can.

bigweights

180k for a house like this would be crazy!  Im wondering how much it will cost all together with building materials, septic, well, electricity.

rick91351

Quote from: bigweights on April 07, 2012, 03:58:45 PM
180k for a house like this would be crazy!  Im wondering how much it will cost all together with building materials, septic, well, electricity.

Your 180K would cover all that.  Doing it yourself and craigslist for somethings and auctions would trim it more.........

A thing about buddies and giving you a hand.  One do not depend on that.  Second it is not their build, it is not their baby in other words.  They do not do the careful job most owner builders do.  Sort of hard to fire your best friend though.....

alex trent

If you go through the numbers...without septic or a well and getting help on elec. and some plumbing...it looks like 110K with you doing a lot of the work.  Septic and well are big variables, but in a reasonable scenario should be 20K...more than that and you need to look at it hard at the outset.

I agree with Rick on the "Buddy stuff". Unless you have some real talented guys in this craft, might be more of a hassle than th e10K you might save.

Oh, by the way, I am 20% over budget on my little build.  OK 30%.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: rick91351 on April 07, 2012, 04:45:44 PM
Your 180K would cover all that.  Doing it yourself and craigslist for somethings and auctions would trim it more.........

A thing about buddies and giving you a hand.  One do not depend on that.  Second it is not their build, it is not their baby in other words.  They do not do the careful job most owner builders do.  Sort of hard to fire your best friend though.....

I agree with Rick.  If you have friends help, you have to keep a very close eye on them.  I had a group of 4 friends help me build a barn, which is sided with T111 panels.  I went in to the house to call the truss folks to check on delivery, and when I came out, most of the T111 was up, and the edges did not align with the centers of the studs.  It was a mess. 

Hired help you can fire if need be.  Buddies are free, but you get what you pay for.  Watch them like a hawk, and don't let then do anything without your supervision. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"