A PEX is a PEX is a PEX?

Started by spinnm, June 03, 2005, 09:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinnm

Recap.  New place doesn't use much RIH.  We may have to DIY or shepherd the plumber.

All things being equal....size, O2 barrier I thought all PEX was the same.  Talking to my normal guy here.  Only does RIH.  Says Wirsbo is the best.  

Talking to a guy who works for the other RIH company that I've never used.  He says Weil-McClain is best.  They have a new tubing that is triple walled.

B4 I dive into this...which I have no time for....I'm packing....have any of you ever investigated this subject?  I did check RadientTec.  They don't even mention which brand they sell.  Only talk about different types.

JRR

Wanna be really confused? ... just read the following:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pex.html

Shelley

Uh oh.

Haven't read it yet.  Thanks for the link.  Got a feeling that this is not so easy.

Hit some sites and saw all this finger pointing, my-pex-is-better-than-your-pex.  *sigh*

But I do remember the first generation of the new stuff...about 8-10 yrs ago.  Got leaks.  Think that's when they added the 02 barrier.  Don't remember much.  Just an uneasy feeling that I need to be careful.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

Shelley

Just read it.  Double uh-oh.

But, ya know, think I'll pay attention to my guy who said Wirsbo.  He's the dean of RIH around here.  Doesn't do any other type of plumbing.  Totally specialized.  He can rough-in a house in about 12 minutes.  Makes a fortune, but his prices are surprisingly reasonable.

Don't know about you all, but no one's used copper supply lines around here for 3-4 yrs....ever since PEX was approved.  'Course with our water copper had it's problems too.  Got pinhole leaks.

I remember the other stuff too.  In the 80s.  Leaked like a sieve.  Tons of class action law suits.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

Amanda_931

Paying attention to the people who've done a bunch of it sounds like a good idea.

DavidLeBlanc

I posted something not so long ago on the forum about RIH and PEX and that it's not all created equal.