Interior walls built after the place is dried-in?...

Started by ajbremer, January 29, 2011, 08:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

I have the 'Little House Plans' and I want to build a 14x24 with 10' wall studs and a loft with head room.

Do I build the interior walls and loft along with the exterior walls and then the roof and then when it's dried-in all the framing is done OR can I just do the exterior walls and roof, get dried-in, and then work on the interior walls and loft and be out of the weather and indoors while building?

I'm a beginner and I need things to go as easy as possible.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

volstuckinnc

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.....

You have to build all the load bearing walls before you build the roof, otherwise the roof has no support.

Non-bearing partition walls can be built before or after the roof is on.

Is that what you are asking?

cmsilvay

If I recall the 14' plan has no load bearing walls as planned. Now with the 10' walls I assume you are going to use ledger boards for the ceiling joists to keep the main height at 8' and using the extra 2' for loft headroom.

ajbremer

Yes, that is correct Volstuckinnc - thanks. You are correct also cmsilvay. So, since I'm using the 14x24 plans with 10' walls and the ledgers for ceiling joists - I could still construct any interior walls before of after the roof - right?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.