Galvanize nails?

Started by waltsuz, May 21, 2016, 10:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltsuz

Just a thought, anyone have an opinion on using galvanize nails on all framing? treated and non treated....I've been using galvanized .131x3 and 3-1/2 inch ring shanks from floor to roof sheathing and studding out walls. The only issue from the past is trying to pull these back out if an uh oh happens. Thanks for any thoughts, Regards Walt

Don_P

Galvanized is fine, other than the cost. The only thing the NDS has to say is that the root diameter is used on a threaded fastener unless the threading is less then 1/4 depth overall in which case you can use the full diameter in calculations. I believe the rings are less than 1/4 reduction in diameter so you can use full design value, the closest nail in the calcs and tables is a .128x3.25, in spf to spf lumber it is allowed 79 lbs per nail.

All things being equal, if the cost makes you use less nails then use a regular nail. In other words I'd rather see more nails than less. The next step up connection quality wise is hardened nails like pallets use. Bostitch tried in the building market with the hurriquake line but I'm not sure if they are still making them.

Yes pallets use higher quality nails than houses  d*

waltsuz

Great reply, thank you.....Walt

NathanS

Coated sinkers are a lot easier to drive by hand. Doesn't matter if you're using a gun though.

Dave Sparks

Hot dipped and electroplated are the two types of galvanizing. Hot Dipped the most durable, at least it was for anchor chain.
"we go where the power lines don't"

ChugiakTinkerer

I haven't tried this on pallet nails, nor ring shank.  But I'm salvaging cedar pickets for a fence repair and this tool is just awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-56-Nail-Puller/dp/B00002N7SD

It takes a little practice to get adept with it, but when it comes to those uh oh nails, it is quicker and cleaner than using a cat's paw.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

MountainDon

Those are great. I have one that is over 60 years old.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.