Joist bracing (crossed 1x4 or solid block ?)

Started by Arky217, February 19, 2008, 10:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using crossed 1x4s vs a solid block for bracing joists ?

Thanks,
Jim

MountainDon

Interesting question... 

Wagners books mention the two types but doesn't indicate one being better then the other. All he mentions is that solid blocking is used in small spaces, like where the space may only be a fraction of a normal bays width. Also solid blocking is used over beams (because the bottom on a criss-cross would not be accessible for nailing).

a couple of my own thoughts...

Criss-cross bracing would have the advantage of easier wiring or plumbing runs.

Solid blocking can frequently be from cut offs.

There's a third choice as well. That weights Mr. Simpsons pockets down with more cash. These are the metal criss-cross pieces. The only advantage to them would be for speed of installation where a builders labor costs outweigh the costs of the pre formed metal.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Willy

Seems like solid blocking would be stronger but crossed 1x4s should do the job. Like MountainDon said it is easier to wire thru the cross braces. Myself I will use solid blocks on my cabin cause I will have lots of small scraps left over. Mark

PEG688

Cross BRIDGING is not a replacement for solid BLOCKING in over beam situations , although solid blocking could be used in a mid span cross bridging situation.

Two different animals   really .

The metal cross bridging straps are much faster , probably cost less or close to the same $$ . Either way , 1x4 or metal straps insure the two members do not touch at any point , if they do they will squeak. 

What situation are you going to using them in?
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

What would be best in the middle of, say a 14 floor span of floor joists? No center beam, just a clear span.

If there are some appropriately sized cutoffs I'd use them for solid blocking. If not enough cutoffs...  solid blocking or bridging???

As for metal VS wood, IF I had to special purpose buy wood for bridging I'd probably opt for the metal.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on February 20, 2008, 03:19:06 PM

#1: What would be best in the middle of, say a 14 floor span of floor joists?

#2: If there are some appropriately sized cutoffs I'd use them for solid blocking.

#3:  If not enough cutoffs...  solid blocking or bridging???

#4: As for metal VS wood, IF I had to special purpose buy wood for bridging I'd probably opt for the metal.

#1: Best , solid blocking . More than good enought and cheaper labor and materials , metal bridging.

#2: Good idea.

#3:   $$$ ??

#4: Exactly.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .