Need advice building first home 400-600ft

Started by gtq838, January 22, 2016, 11:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtq838

Just got the priliminary OK from my father to place a tiny house on his property. There currently is a barn and hunting cabin on the property. There is no electric septic or well. But it is on a 40 acres in Hillsdale county mi, don't believe it belong to a particular city.

I need help!

Where to start? What government officials should I speak to about building codes and legality of build a home in the 500ft range. Is it generally acceptable to build such small homes in rural areas? Also is there someplace online that I can simply see the codes and regulations for my particular area?

Assuming that it is fact legal to build such a small house I gather in Michigan that wells and even septic can be quite reasonable. My initial plan was to build a well first then use a composting toliet although it may be possible to get a septic for not much more money.

I want to build the home myself. I'm good enough with wood and understand enough about building that I feel I could accurately dollar building codes and a blueprint. I have some experience with plumbing and electric and even roofing so I'm not too intimidated by any of this. Was planning standard 2x4 construction at normal housing code. All plumbing will be on one wall.

How crazy am I with these price guestimates?
20x30 - 20x20 cabin home

Concrete slab 3,500
Plans 500
Cabin no just walls and roof 10,000
Well 2500 (most Michigan well are between 50 and 150ft deep)
Septic or composting system 4,500
Septic likewise seems to range low for the nation and appears even legal in many cases to diy.
Permits and inspections 2000
Electric hookup 1000 (think you only have to pay for the cable if you have cert of occupancy)

If this is roughly correct I'm guessing 24k for the house with water and draining system and electric. All the rest can be built easily by me... I quite enjoy finishing work.

Are there any particular kits or plans that fit this idea?

Finally if I over estimated please let me know where. I'm going for cheap cheap cheap here and will probably do 99% labor myself and may try to find reclaimed wood for free even by tearing down barns and homes for people... lot of homes and barns need to be torn down in michigan.

trish2

I'm assuming you are planning on living in this house full time....that is, it will be your primary residence.  Since you sound like a single person, you may want to plan ahead for a potential marriage and possible family.  When designing your house for your needs today, think how you would add on to it in the future.  Within the 500-600 sq ft footprint you are starting with, you should be able to have 2 bedrooms.

You talk about building on the cheap and that is a valid goal  However, take into consideration your time and energy;  if it takes you 2 weeks to take down a barn for the siding for your house, that is two weeks time and energy that you haven't spent constructing your home.    Some times 'free' materials wind up costing in time more than they are worth.

These are just two thoughts that came to mind as I read your post.  Others can weigh in on this and other topics.  I wish you well on your new adventure and please keep us posted as your project progresses.

gtq838

Its cool, appreciate the advice. Its frankly not about the money so much as it is about being self sufficient and renewable. Space wise I am married but I work live and eat out of less sqft than this already in my apartment, the living room never gets used.. The whole idea for me building a small house is to keep me out of it in fact I'm likely to go with 400 over 600 not because of cost (although recurring costs like repairs and heating are being considered) but because I want to be working out doors most of the day. I will be homesteading this area and hunting, growing and raising my own food. Its a culture change from past thinking and its still a fringe community but I assume on this board there are people doing very similar things. In fact I'm also considering not even having electric hooked up and installing 20k-30k in solar power maybe with some tesla powerwalls after reviews come out.

MushCreek

You're probably not in any city limits, so you would probably go to your county offices to get info. I recommend this first, as zoning and codes vary widely. Some places don't even have permits and inspections; some want to see every nail.

We're in rural SC, but are subject to fairly standard codes and inspections. We are under IRC 2006, which is getting outdated. Inspections have been really light. Permits for a 1400 square foot home were only $400. Our septic was about $6K, but that was a few years ago, and rules are tightening up all the time. Power was free, brought in about 350 feet.

There are lots of hidden costs in everything. Once you have a well, you need a pump, pressure tank, etc., etc. Everything you do has a lot of costs involved that you won't think of. Again, some building authorities allow used building materials, but many don't, especially for structural use.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

The building dept is usually in the county seat offices. The way the codes are enforced is very local, have a conversation with the local building official to get a feel for how they work.

It looks like your state has adopted the '09 IRC, international residential code. The MI version is not online that I see but the generic "model codes" for that year are here, this is the whole set, more than you need to know;
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/IC-P-2009-000019.htm

Start with the IRC link for 1 and 2 family buildings from that list, chapter 3 contains much of the basic building planning info;
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2009/index.htm?bu=IC-P-2009-000002&bu2=IC-P-2009-000019

Edit;
Well, that was all wrong, found your state Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Dept, then Construction Codes;
http://michigan.gov/lara/0%2c4601%2c7-154-10575-234789--%2c00.html

You are under the 2015 IRC, again MI doesn't have a free online version with your state modifications but the model '15 code is here;
http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/toc/2015/I-Codes/2015%20IRC%20HTML/index.html

minnowcat

Quote from: Don_P on January 23, 2016, 11:23:24 AM
The building dept is usually in the county seat offices. The way the codes are enforced is very local, have a conversation with the local building official to get a feel for how they work.

It looks like your state has adopted the '09 IRC, international residential code. The MI version is not online that I see but the generic "model codes" for that year are here, this is the whole set, more than you need to know;
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/IC-P-2009-000019.htm

Start with the IRC link for 1 and 2 family buildings from that list, chapter 3 contains much of the basic building planning info;
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2009/index.htm?bu=IC-P-2009-000002&bu2=IC-P-2009-000019

Edit;
Well, that was all wrong, found your state Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Dept, then Construction Codes;
http://michigan.gov/lara/0%2c4601%2c7-154-10575-234789--%2c00.html

You are under the 2015 IRC, again MI doesn't have a free online version with your state modifications but the model '15 code is here;
http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/toc/2015/I-Codes/2015%20IRC%20HTML/index.html

How did you find all this information! Thanks so much this really helps :)

DutchMo

w*

Regarding some of your estimates, they seem to be in line with what I've found, but maybe a little on the light side.  In my experience (engineering, not building), if you're unsure - use a bigger number for your estimate.  Maybe as much as double to be safe.  I can give you numbers that I'm working with.  Our numbers are largely notional as we're still planning, but I have gotten solid estimates from a few contractors.

FWIW, I'm in Missouri, and planning a 20x36 story and a half using the plans from this site (Country Plans).  My local government doesn't have any building permit or inspection requirements, so I can't help you there.

Septic - our estimate was $4800, but that included a curtain drain required by the slope of our drainage field.  If your soil perks and is otherwise suitable for traditional septic, you may be able to do a little better.

Well - I've got a few estimates.  Prices varied widely from about $3000 to $8000.   I get the sense it depends on whether the contractor wants to do the work.

Electric - Our local coop is about $1200 to hook up (up to 300 feet away from existing lines), and costs are reimbursed in full if you can prove you have a habitable dwelling that has septic and a well within 5 years.  I looked into doing off-grid electric, but I found it was cheaper to stay on grid.  I'd suggest you stick with the power company if it is close enough.  If you had to drop a lot of new line to reach your build site, the equation may change.

Dried-in shell - This estimate is more rough based on online pricing from box stores like Home Depot or Menards, but my lumber package and related expenses was closer to $15K.  You might be able to do better if you scrounge materials on craigslist.  The kind of windows, doors, siding, and trim work you get can make a lot of difference in your price.  Also don't forget you won't want to live in just a dried in shell - you will need at least some basic furniture, cabinets, plumbing and lighting fixtures.  Doesn't have to be much, but costs will add up.  Don't leave them out of your planning!

Plans - John's plans (on this site) are definitely less than $500, but I also bought some software to help visualize and tweak the plans.  Also, if your jurisdiction requires engineer-stamped plans, that may cost a bit more.

Good luck with your plans!

Dave Sparks

Definitely take a serious look at John's plans!  I really like them and they will save you in the long run because we are all here!

Really look hard at the Utility cost to get power. You are in the land of always needing a generator for a home power system and so that cost needs to be evaluated. Offgrid power and solar do not help your resale value in most cases. If you really are rural and remote it is amazing at what can be done these days for power. It can be done in small steps if it is planned right. Good Luck!
"we go where the power lines don't"