rustic cabin not conforming to code for a "house"

Started by offcode, October 12, 2009, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

just buy an old car trailer, and build your cabin on it.  Build it at home, or on the land.  If you don't have a truck that will pull it, rent a Uhaul.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

speedfunk

call it a shed , since that is what it is.  Get it "inspected" if need be.  THEN add any options you might want in the future (those stairs).  A storage shed I doubt most municipalities will care.  If In view of neighbors try to make it look as nice as possible.  Neighbors are the key.  Things have a way of blending in over time to peoples eye.  So just build it and go from there :)  It helps if it's not on a permenant foundation also. 

I got code called on me for my 8x8 cabin.  He was looking for 2 things.  Running water and a source of heat FYI.  If you do add woodstove, with freedom comes responsiblity so just make it safe for your family.
Peace
jeff

Tim Bullock

offcode, Come to West Virginia......there is a code but it isn't enforced in most places as there aren't even building inspectors.....Building Codes actually decrease the quality of building IMHO.....remember it is the "minimum" requirement......good builders had to lower their quality to compete with the other builder who builds minimum code.....Code Officials always have seemingly good reasons for them to be employed but here in WV being that the code is not enforced......Officials would suggest that most homes have fallen down without their "expert" enforcement....Poopoo on that....First Building Code went something like this: "He who builds a home and should that home fall down and injure the owner shall be slain"......Didn't need too many inspectors then!!!!!

pagan

offcode,

Williamstown, Vermont. No codes and only 5.5 to 6 hours, depending on traffic,  from Monroe Township, NJ. There are other towns in Vermont with no codes as well.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Tim Bullock on January 07, 2010, 10:46:28 AM
offcode, Come to West Virginia......there is a code but it isn't enforced in most places as there aren't even building inspectors.....Building Codes actually decrease the quality of building IMHO.....remember it is the "minimum" requirement......good builders had to lower their quality to compete with the other builder who builds minimum code.....Code Officials always have seemingly good reasons for them to be employed but here in WV being that the code is not enforced......Officials would suggest that most homes have fallen down without their "expert" enforcement....Poopoo on that....First Building Code went something like this: "He who builds a home and should that home fall down and injure the owner shall be slain"......Didn't need too many inspectors then!!!!!

But it is coming my friend.  For the most part an owner/builder takes pride in his workmanship providing that they have a general knowledge in building.  The problem arises when he has no knowledge of the principles and it is not his own. For these we have to thank the code & everything else that is associated with it.

Tim Bullock

Redoverfarm, I agree that the code will come to WV one day but likely not in my lifetime. I still disagree with building codes and their enforcement. Case in point: We built a home in Lake Tahoe just under 3000 square feet.......It was on a mountain and there are fault lines nearby....The engineering/blueprints cost $ 75,000.00 and the concrete for the footers was beyond anyone's comprehension. Next door to this fully engineered home stood a home that looked like it had been built in the 50's......The footings were 4" X 4" posts on rocks with lots of diagonal bracing....It is still standing and looked level......Have you ever heard of anyone being injured from their home falling in on them in WV? I have only been here 3 1/2 years and haven't heard a thing in this regard.

pagan

Tim,

I worked on a house that was built in the early eighteen hundreds that was around six inches wider on the second floor than the first, and the building leaned north over eight inches. Well, the north wall leaned eight inches and the south wall leaned around six inches. The point is, it didn't collapse. This leads me to believe there would be no catastrophic collapse causing grievous injury or death, rather the occupants would have ample time to see the house was shifting and becoming unsafe so they could leave, or correct the problem.

When you read building codes it is pretty clear they were put in place to protect some petty bureaucrat's job, for if you have codes you must have a "code enforcement officer."

MushCreek

I would think that all states would have codes; you're just lucky if you're in an area that doesn't/can't enforce them. For instance, all of SC is subject to IBC 2006, but some counties have no inspection department. We're in Greenville County, which does have inspection, but no plans review, so I can build whatever I want without formal drawings, as long as it meets code. Basically, they're going to come out and make sure my 2X4's are spaced correctly, etc. The only sticky part would be if I wanted something less main-stream, like timber framing. Then I would have to have engineered drawings. That's one of the little details that is steering me towards very conventional stick framing for the most part.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Jens

Quote from: pagancelt on January 08, 2010, 01:21:06 PM
Tim,

I worked on a house that was built in the early eighteen hundreds that was around six inches wider on the second floor than the first, and the building leaned north over eight inches. Well, the north wall leaned eight inches and the south wall leaned around six inches. The point is, it didn't collapse. This leads me to believe there would be no catastrophic collapse causing grievous injury or death, rather the occupants would have ample time to see the house was shifting and becoming unsafe so they could leave, or correct the problem.

When you read building codes it is pretty clear they were put in place to protect some petty bureaucrat's job, for if you have codes you must have a "code enforcement officer."

The first building codes were all addressing fire.  They came about in the Boston area, and they were having huge problems with fire there at that time.  While I agree that building codes are hampering, I also agree that they are rooted in good.  It is just unfortunate that they end up being a way for people to flex their egos, and for the city to fill its pocketbook.  We lived in a 200 year old Colonial, with dry laid foundation (full basement) walls, hand hewn (non graded) timberframe, hand split clapboards and shingles, ceilings that were only about 7', walls out of plumb, floors out of level, etc.  It was awesome, and has withstood the test of time.  I know what you are saying PC. ;)
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Tim Bullock

I have worked with codes all over the USA.....it seems a lot of the code enforcement officers have "fetishes" and do not really know the code completely.....Egress is "huge" in some areas.....other places it is railing heights on the second floor (in Colorado, according to the local GC, they have changed this height 3 times in 20 years)......do you getter a better house IF the stairs conform but the roof won't support the snow load?
Lack of roof ventilation seems to be the biggest misunderstood item of all time....I have seen two roofs ripped off two of my homes in the past 5 years as the GC's just didn't understand ventilation....BOTH of these homes were inspected with supposedly strict inspectors...How does this happen? There is a "demolition inspector" here (nothing new is getting built) and he just loves to condemn old serviceable buildings......all of the politicos along with "demo guy" seem to hate all old buildings and just adore vinyl....what is up with that? Beautiful 3 story brick building on the main street....torn down......replaced with an empty lot with garbage....
Nice.......