salvage wood uses

Started by Mike Teskey, July 06, 2005, 08:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Teskey

If I am building a construction shed (12 x 16) on the Oregon Coast, can I use salvage wood for the roof rafters?  I can get bunch of reclaimed decking 2 x 6's that are 10, 12, and 16 feet in length and appear to be in good shape.  I simply want to know what are the structural shortcomings of this kind of wood and by what kind of factor?

Thanks,
mt

PEG688

Mike if you can get old wood that is sound , not soft ,to a awl / screw driver, not notched dapped or ortherwise altered .   If it's Oregon old growth or even second growth  :o You got better than you can buy today , I. M. H. O.  I'd go for it ,use it,  If it's not to checked up , warped or full of nails /metal.  And you have a surface planer you might run a board or two and see wood you can't buy anymore .   Might be better than shed wood  ;)  Good luck , HTBH  ;)PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

PEG's right about that.  The only problem you may encounter is if it is going on a inspected job-- in support of the timber industry, it is usually required that boards be stamped and graded-- shows that someone else got a share of your money.

;D

Question - will they care as much when they outsource the timber grading and stamping jobs to India or elsewhere ???-- probably will because it's our American corporations that are selling us down the river anyway.  OK -maybe that one's not likely -- but somewhere I think there was a point there. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rwalter

Glen,

Your probably not that far off. You'll have some inspector in India watching a live video monitor of the lumber moving through a plant here in the US grading our lumber. He'll get paid $6 for the day and well see our lumber prices still go up.