Ryobi Battery Powered Tools

Started by MountainDon, July 30, 2008, 07:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

...specifically the 18 volt series that I'm familiar with.

GOOD: the lithium Ion batteries ($$ :o) are superb! I am amazed at how long the 5 1/2 inch circular saw cuts as compared to the NiCads. And I'm talking about cutting 2x10's and 2x8's as well as long rip cuts down sheet goods.

BAD: The 5 1/2 inch circular saw does not like being asked to cut 16D Hot Dip Galvies.  >:(  It stopped the blade dead in an instant. Inspection of the blade revealed that no carbide tips had gone AWOL. I pulled the trigger to continue the cut. Whoa! Bad vibration. Okay, I figured the blade had been whacked hard enough to twist it or something. Changed the blade for a new virgin blade. Same vibration.  ???  Closer inspection revealed a slight wobble to the blade arbor.

K was heading into town for a day so I asked he to pick up another saw at HD. The noisy vibrating saw still cut a straight line, it just felt and sounded bad. I figured I'd try a warranty claim on the  month old saw later when I wasn't so busy. It would be nice to have one at home and one in the mountains; just haul the batteries back and forth.

The new saw came with a laser beam. More sales sizzle than real useful as far as I can see. But then I'm used to sighting down pencil lines on my own.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OldDog

Don,

I bought my son a laser miter saw & it screwed me up good!

I am like you, "Give me my pencil line!"

Bruce
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

glenn kangiser

Don, I have 2 of the 5.5's busted in the same place - plastic breaks holdng the bearing right behind the blade.  At least you know how you did it.  I didn't think I did anything to hurt it.

That's about my only complaint with it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I have a newly replaced 5 1/2 inch saw (under warranty).   :)   That makes 2, one for home,one for the mtns.

I also now own the right angle close quarters drill as I deemed it to be a necessity.  ::)

Plus another Lithium upgrade kit (battery and charger). Now I can have a Li-ion charger at home and in the mtns without trying to remember to transport it back and forth. (twisted logic for owning toys if there ever was...)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

The 5 1/2 inch saw bearing right behind the blade seems to be a very weak one.  Both of mine broke there - I was thinking about trying to check it out and fix it on my own - maybe improve it - that's as far as I got so far. d* 

The lithium batts are great - 2 of them eliminated about 8 of the others.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

More whining by me -- don't get me wrong -- I really like the Ryobi tools - they make me money , but....

The 10" chainsaw - oiler cap- push button combination - came apart.  Slow chain anyway  so I now run without oil and eliminate getting it all over my truck.  Oil the bar a bit as needed.

Air pump - 18v.  The plastic valve stem pusher in the connector broke for no known reason - may just replace with a standard one.

MountainDon

18 V Chainsaw... My biggest complaint was that the oil runs out of it when you "park" it. I didn't read the manual and asked Ryobi what was wrong. They told me to drain the oil between uses.  ::)  ...  I now store it upside down.   :)

Chain speed is slow but it's handy to have around.

Guess that wouldn't work if/when the oiler cap falls apart.   ???

glenn kangiser

Most saws leak oil when sitting .  The chain being slow is a bit of a surprise when you are used to gas or 120v saws but it works great and has pretty good gearing to get through the wood.  Being slow - I don't worry about the chain getting hot anyway.  Much cleaner.

Drain between uses... d*  that has got to be a pain in the (!)  .