Rural cabin

Started by reddennis, March 30, 2007, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddennis

Hi all-
I'd like to build a cabin in B.C. this summer-- I've never built anything before, but I will have some help from two experienced framers. My question is: I have it narrowed down to either the 1&1/2 story cabin from this site, or a panelized cabin from here: http://www.cabins.ca/html/Algonquin.html Considering that I'll only have about 2 months to work on this project, what do you all think? I see the benefits of the panelized cabin being that it can be dried in in only 10 days. The disadvantages are that it's expensive (about $35/sf dried in w/o foundation or shipping) and cannot be built on piers, which is the foundation I'd like to use for the 1&1/2 story. Could an unexperienced builder with help get the 1&1/2 story done in only 2 months? I'm not talking finish work-- that'll have to come later. My location will be rural central B.C., about 2 hours from the nearest lumberyard, so decent planning will be essential-- especially with the fact that everything will be done with generator power. Thanks for your input.

John Raabe

You might want to check around as your lumberyard may be able to suggest a company that will panelize a house from your own plans. The 1 - 1/2 story would be a pretty quick and inexpensive workup. The lumberyard could then do the materials package for the rest of the shell project (such as the foundation materials).

Don't get stuck thinking you have to buy a predesigned kit. The advantage here is that you can get the CountryPlans plans and then customize them for your site, interior, layout windows, views, etc. to get a more custom home than a kit could provide. You would take that layout to the fabricator or lumber yard.

See also this project where the owners did their own panels. http://www.countryplans.com/cody.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Zero Punch

You don't say how many days out of those two months you plan on working on your project. With two experienced framers it should be easy once you have your foundation work done. As far as working of a gen set most of the subdivisions in the US are built off gen power through finial finish. This utility companies take their sweet time laying line.

John

reddennis

I'll be able to work on it for 60 consecutive days. I've thought about making prefab panels myself, but live far away from the construction site, and I don't feel like messing with driving these things through Canadian customs. Plus I understand lumber is around 30% less in B.C.. Having them made for me up there maybe a decent solution.  How long would a pier and post foundation for a 20x30 take to install? The soil has some roots& I'm sure I'll need to go at least 40" down; I haven't found frost depth info for the area yet.

Freeholdfarm

If you can manage the necessary equipment (buy, borrow, or rent), it shouldn't take very long at all, especially if your helpers are experienced.  You'd need a gasoline-powered auger to do the holes, sonotubes for the cement forms, and a cement mixer big enough to do a whole tube at once (I would think that would be better than doing each tube in several batches).  And rebar, of course.  

You are probably correct about the depth of the holes -- it wouldn't hurt to go a full 48", and if your site is very far north it may be necessary.  

Kathleen

PA-Builder

If you have two experienced framers with you during those 60 days, getting a 20x30 weather tight should not be a problem,  unless your 60 days are impacted by poor weather, or materials are not available when you need them, etc.

glenn kangiser

I think if you have that many days straight and plan ahead it would be as well to forget the problems with trying to panelize it and just build it.

You will spend a lot of time trying to put the panelized sections together - trying to handle them - working out fitup problems etc.

Just work out a materials list - putting it all together in your head from the plans - make sure you have everything you need and do it. :)  Just my opinion.  

Power tools - would be necessary - air nailer etc, if I was planning to do this.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

Rent the free-standing (not human-held) power auger if you might run into anything at all in the way of roots or rocks.

PEG688

You should plan on one trip up to clear the site , and get the post and pier footings in so they can cure . If you bring your framers up the first trip they'll spend a bunch of time temp bracing the floor beams , and such to start to build.

Small cabin like that once the concrete / footing are in will , or should frame fast.

Get a good generator and pack in a lot of gas for it. If it's new and lager enough the only issue will be noise , and fuel. We start a few projects on genny power every year , it's a pain in the arse but does get-er done, get a large with wheels type generator ,

Briggs & Stratton
5,550 Watt Wheelhouse™ Portable Generator

Model 030324

Price: $699.00/ea

Good generator starts super easy , it'll run what ever you throw at it in normal const.

I'd, like Glenn said , would build from a lumber package , you should be able to get killer pricing up in BC.

On your first trip up scout out some lumber yards , they should be able to deliever for a small fee to your site , in fact I bet it's quite common in that area to do exactly what your doing. Scoping out the local yards , suppliers should give you many choices .

Get them acopy of the plans , (John's are quite good ) ;)  they'll do a take off for you , then decide.

It sounds like you'll be coming from the states so crossing the border will be problematic with raw materials , and our $$ is worth more in BC , or I think it is anyway  :-/ it used to be before , well that's another thread  :'( :-[

Shop on line thru the nearest town / city by / close to your cabin site.

G/L PEG    

Oh and remeber , we're pullin fer ya , and keep your stick on the ice  ;)  EH!
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

QuoteI'd, like Glenn said , would build from a lumber package , you should be able to get killer pricing up in BC.

I must be learning from you PEG.   :o

I actually had a thought about wood and you agreed with it.  ::) ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.