Safety Goggles

Started by MountainDon, November 03, 2011, 04:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I just got two pair of new screened safety goggles that work over eyeglasses. My old ones were damaged.  These are ideal for eye protection when using a chain saw.  Metal wire screen in place of a clear plastic lens.

I got them from Bailey's.

It took a while for them to get here (B/O for a couple months or more). Worth the wait though.

Add these to the collection of chaps, helmet, ear protection, boots......
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

Can't imagine it helps your eyes or focus using a steel mesh

Modern safety glasses can take a shot gun blast.

Mind you It takes me a while to find a design i like and my eyes can stand

You almost need to go shopping with graph paper to check the distortion

presently for my work safety glasses I'm using some milspec shooting eye wear

yep 80 bucks for the set - clear -smoked enhanced- and some red tint that actually works quite well

I have found my eyes are less tolerant to crap glasses- eye strain in 5 mins

spend the money and eyes are happy - mind you in the office I'm finding i can't read the presentation words on the screen

For my safety glasses I've concidered getting some optical glasses done - just for the comfort and quality

hell last time under my wifes truck - I could'nt focus on the bolt - moved my head back an met concrete - yep i have a problem starting !

Don try them and let us know - pretty sure my eyes would not be happy

MountainDon

I've used similar ones before. I broke the pair I had a couple of months ago. They also didn't fit as well over my eyeglasses. The mesh is close enough to your eyes it is not in focus, just a blur that your brain tunes out after a while. Like standing very close to a window screen. I wouldn't want to read a book with them on, but it beats having little chips flying around. Those do sneak in past any of the usual type I've tried that have space around the perimeter. The ones that fit tight enough to prevent debris entering make sweast run down into my eyes.

I wear corrective lenses for everything. Most protective eyegear doesn't fit well over my 'specs' or do a proper job at keeping small chip debris out. It's especially bad it seems when delimbing a tree.  My specs have shatterproof lenses so that part is taken care of. The typical goggles, the type I wear when grinding steel for example, cause too much sweating and they fog up. I find them impossible to wear when using the chainsaw for any period of time. Full perspex face shields have the same issues with me; or I have the same issues with them.

PineCone pointed out the Bugz Eyes a long while back. They are sort of like gas welding goggles but with mesh screen 'lenses'. But they don't fit over eyeglasses. I had never seen them before and am very happy he brought them to light.

I think the flip up wire mesh face shield type (like the Peltor helmet that comes with ear protection as well) might also be comfortable. But I really like my Peltor electronic shooting muffs and they don't work well with that helmet... just the way the helmet is formed. So with these I can continue to use the electronic muffs, my existing hard hat and good chip proof eye protection. For those who have never tried electronic noise cancelling muffs they are superb. I can still hear other noises around me, carry on a conversation and not have the chain saw sound loud enough to harm my hearing. Should have had those 30 - 40 years ago and I could still hear better today.

And while I'm getting carried away espousing their virtues, they are available in the behind the neck type rather than the usual over the head.

Like these but mine are a different model

Just thought I'd pass it along so others can contemplate the available options.

Over the past few years I have noticed that  many, maybe most people, I see cutting trees around here don't wear eye protection, nor helmets. I've never seen anyone else wearing chaps and many don't bother with hearing protection.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Pine Cone

Quote from: UK4X4 on November 03, 2011, 10:04:18 PM
Can't imagine it helps your eyes or focus using a steel mesh
I have found my eyes are less tolerant to crap glasses- eye strain in 5 mins

spend the money and eyes are happy - mind you in the office I'm finding i can't read the presentation words on the screen

For my safety glasses I've concidered getting some optical glasses done - just for the comfort and quality

hell last time under my wifes truck - I could'nt focus on the bolt - moved my head back an met concrete - yep i have a problem starting !

Don try them and let us know - pretty sure my eyes would not be happy

I've used similar wire mesh safety goggles for chain saw use since the 1980's and wouldn't use anything else while using a chainsaw. 

The danger to you eyes using a chainsaw is mostly large sharp wood chips, not small particles of grit or metal. 

Since you are working very hard with a saw many times in very hot weather, the danger associated with a fogged lens while using a saw is serious, as is distortion from poorly made plastic lenses.

Your eyes don't mind them at all.  The mesh acts like a light grey pair of sunglasses.  No distortion, no eye fatigue.

I would never use these for most eye protection needs.  Not adequate for grinding, sanding, shooting, etc.

Great for chainsaws!

MountainDon

Thanks again to you Pine Cone for first bringing these to our attention.  :)  These fit over eyeglasses very nicely. Now, as long as I don't step on them I'll be fine for a long time.   ;D

I can't count the number of times chips came close, too close, over the years of chainsawing. I never had any damage but couldn't wear the typical goggles because of fogging as Pine Cone mentioned. We took on thinning and cleaning up another 3 acres and all this safety gear will be well used.