roof load question

Started by dug, July 29, 2011, 02:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

I had planned on using 5/8 sheetrock on my ceiling covered with either reed cane or bamboo fencing for a finish something like this-

I am now thinking I might prefer the look of rough sawn lumber instead. My question is- Would the extra weight on the ceiling be  a structural concern? Rock is already up  d*  and I figure I may add another 1500 pounds or so adding the rough sawn (complete guess).

Here is a shot of my roof framing, collar ties up high have since been installed.

rick91351

You might check with Georgia Pacific or Louisiana Pacific and see if either one still does a product one of them marketed several years ago  It was a T&G little less that a quarter inch thick and about four inches wide bundled in random lengths.  Might be just what the doctor ordered.  I did an office in it and turned out very nice.  One side was planed with a Ved edge the other side was rough cut.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

dug

Thanks Rick, I was wondering if something like that might be made. I'll check into it.

I guess it might have been helpful to include some of the roof specs in my original post so here they are-

12/12 pitch, ridge board, 2 by 10 rafters span apx. 14 ft., 2 ft. OC, rafter ties every 4 ft., collar ties every rafter.

MountainDon

Both Big Blue and Orange Boxes carry it where I am. Not in the loose boards area but in the millwork area. Comes packaged in random lengths like Rick said. 5/16" thick IIRC. Big Blue here carries it in a couple of different patterns.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Native_NM

Type X weighs 20 pounds more than 1/2" per sheet, and it is code in some locations now.  An old-fashioned plaster ceiling weighs twice as much as 1/2" drywall.  Just something to consider. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.