Tall two story skinny building?

Started by phalynx, March 03, 2011, 03:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirl

Any plans on the pier?  One straight column or a few smaller columns joined together?  The project reminds me of a drawing Don_P drew for post and pier foundations with braces.  Something like four 6" columns for corners with thinner concrete walls and rebar for bracing.  Or maybe a silo like slip form would work?  From the previous posts it sounded like a little trepidation or lamentation about the amounts of concrete necessary.  Also I just thought I'd share a few points that I have been thinking about from some of my general design knowledge.  The larger the base, the more stable the structure.  A hollow tube can be stronger than a solid one.  I will post some of my numbers and thoughts if I get a chance.

phalynx

Currently the thought is a 4' x4' concrete pad that is 2' thick with rebar connected vertically.  Then use large chimney block and build strait up to the 17' level.  From there, use a steel tube/pier for the final 3-4'.  I plan on filling the chimney block with sand to stiffen.  I don't know for sure that is what I'll do, but it seems the easiest to construct currently.