Whether and how to finish a structural ridge beam

Started by MikeT, September 17, 2010, 03:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

In my Victoria's Cottage, I have two big, exposed Glulam beams.  I plan to leave them exposed and do not want to paint them, but should I seal them with anything.  Is there anything wrong with just leaving them as bare wood?

mt

rwanders

Bare wood will eventually look like other bare wood does------a little sanding and a couple coats of clear polyurethane will seal them and maintain a really nice appearance.
:) :)
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MikeT

That is what I thought, but I wasn't sure.  They are 20 feet up there, so I didn't want to do anything that I didn't have to do ;)

TheWire

I have 4 - 6x16" x 18' glulams in my log home.  They had some kind of invisible waterproofing from the factory to protect them during construction.  I didn't do anything with them and they darkened slightly, but still look like new after 10 years.  Unless they are exposed to the elements or where they can get touched, I wouldn't worry about finishing them.

rwanders

More a matter of druthers, I guess-----If the glulams are exposed to sunlight, they may discolor unevenly.  I know what you mean by "up there"----mine is 25' up also.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida