SouthernSis

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, December 09, 2008, 12:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

I have a real estate question for you:  a signed counter-offer (by all parties) is a legal binding document, is it not?  We had a signed agreement on our house in WI and then the buyer's realtor emailed our realtor and told her to have US add something to the done-deal signed counter offer about a sewer inspection after they'd already stated that they were waiving their right to do inspections in favor of speeding up the process.  I replied that as far as I knew that it was already a binding agreement, and though they are free to inspect as they please, I will not add anything to a document that was already satisfactorily signed by all parties, as that would be forgery (adding to THEIR counter offer which was signed without such an additional statement.)  I smell a rat here.  Any insight as to what is going on?? >:(  Also, we have already told them that we will not be giving them any additional money for anything because they are already getting about $4K at closing which would more than twice over fix EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM defined by the home inspector  for the previous potential buyers, and he was EXTREMELY thorough. ???  What's going on here?  Are they trying to back out, get more money, or what??  I don't understand.  We were trying to be nice to them and gave them everything they've asked... why is it that when you give someone an inch they take a mile?

apaknad

as far as i know it is binding. a verbal agreement can be binding. might be time to write down the number of some local attorneys.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

southernsis

Homegrown,
If both parties have signed the counter offer, then it is an accepted offer. If they waived their right to inspections, then that is that. This is a binding offer. If they have not done an ammendment, that was signed by both of you, then the original stands. The buyers can back out, but they will forfeit their earnest money. They may have to have a septic inspection for financing. Stand your ground. If you want you can call me and we can talk about it.
I have found out that if you are nice to people in business deals, they take it as a sign of weakness and will go for your throat.
You have a contract
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.