Buyer beware

Started by Redoverfarm, January 17, 2012, 11:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I had two instances in the last couple of months where I had bought something only to discover that a portion of the contents were missing once I got home.  One was a 5 qt container of oil at Walmart and the other was a 12 pack of of 48" flourescent bulbs at Lowes.  The oil was only 1/2-3/4 full.  Apparently an employee at some point from the distribution to the shelves decided to change the oil in his personal car.  I guess after a few containers he would have enough quanity.  The bulbs only had 11 in the pack.  I can't understand why someone would remove just one bulb and carefully tape up the end of the box. 

Sad part about it is that if I brought it to the attention of the stores they would say(imply) that I was responsible.  I guess I will have to take future purchases to the check out line and open it right on the counter to see if the quanity is correct.  ;)

peternap

I sympathize John!
Little things like screws or nuts in a package at Lowes.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 17, 2012, 11:33:29 AM
Sad part about it is that if I brought it to the attention of the stores they would say(imply) that I was responsible.  I guess I will have to take future purchases to the check out line and open it right on the counter to see if the quanity is correct.  ;)

I have had to do just that to make sure, open it up and look and count....  Usually at the service counter before going the to the check out, then they tape it up and put a smiley face sticker on it....

Last week however got home with a what the heck cost so much at the grocery store moments.  Here on the tape was $40 produce.  I had bought two bulk items along with other stuff.  One was rang up properly the other showed produce $40.  So I compare the rest of the stuff and go back to the store.  Manager at the service counter told me.  "Something is really wrong here today, you know how many $35 dollar six packs of beer we have sold?"
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

NM_Shooter

I also have gotten into the habit of not purchasing anything if the packaging looks funny.  Too many times things get purchased, mishandled, and returned to the store. 

There is a lot of weirdness going on. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

considerations

Even toys are being skimmed this way...I just shake my head.

digitaljournal.com/article/318080

ED: fixed link - MD

muldoon

I had a box of 200 cigarette tubes (normally 4 dollars, and marked as such) ring up at 29.00 yesterday.  They fixed it only because I caught it because I happened to be looking when the screen showed it.  yes, buyer beware, apparently you can get robbed anywhere these days.

peternap

Quote from: muldoon on January 24, 2012, 11:47:51 PM
I had a box of 200 cigarette tubes (normally 4 dollars, and marked as such) ring up at 29.00 yesterday.  They fixed it only because I caught it because I happened to be looking when the screen showed it.  yes, buyer beware, apparently you can get robbed anywhere these days.

You're getting robbed at $4.00, I'm only paying 3. ???
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Sort of trivial I guess but I did have a chance to go to Lowes and make them aware of the shortage.   They made it good.  The return clerk said this has happened before.  Buy the case take it home, remove one bulb and tape it back up and return stating they bought the wrong size.  Seems like a lot of trouble just to get one bulb free.    d*  But I guess it takes all kinds.

Windpower

Package sizes are being 'down sized' too

the 10 oz size of product x is now 8 oz with a big space in the bottom of the container

but, hey, it is labled -- you just have to read these days

How come a can of tuna will barely make a sammich sometimes -- alot more water, alot less tuna

inflation by deception
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 28, 2012, 11:22:03 AM
Sort of trivial I guess but I did have a chance to go to Lowes and make them aware of the shortage.   They made it good.  The return clerk said this has happened before.  Buy the case take it home, remove one bulb and tape it back up and return stating they bought the wrong size.  Seems like a lot of trouble just to get one bulb free.    d*  But I guess it takes all kinds.

Most of the big box stores at least around here really do not hassle you if you return something or you are shorted.  I just hate spending the time and fuel and hassle taking it back and straightening it all out.  I would really be up set if it was like up at the ranch and something I really needed.  You get it up there and the nuts and bolts are missing or clamps or ?.  That is why I most the time on something like that I open it up or have them open it up at the service counter and we check.  Especially if I am leaving from the the store for up there.  They are very agreeable especially when I tell then I do not want to make a hour and thirty minute drive to turn around and drive back because of a shortage in product.           
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Quote from: Windpower on January 28, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

the 10 oz size of product x is now 8 oz with a big space in the bottom of the container

How come a can of tuna will barely make a sammich sometimes -- alot more water, alot less tuna

inflation by deception

"Deception"
Yeah, the big sale sign in the area of a popular item on the aisle shelf is always a fun one. I've hauled store grocery managers to the aisle and quizzed 'em on how they'd interpret what was on sale, and they'd confidently point to the very bottom, where only slithering species could figure it out.
And coffee
Been a fan of MJB Columbian, up until the price skyrocketed and size shrunk....but I think they screwed up when making the can shorter...seems skinnier would've been more deceptive, and/or with the age old trick of big indent in the bottom.
Gotta read carefully these days.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

rick91351

Quote from: Windpower on January 28, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

inflation by deception

The tuna thing just blows me away.  And we the consumer continues to buy it.  So it must be okay!  Drain a can of green beans or corn there is not much there.  But the  man on TV says things are getting better, so they must be.  The internet and TV never lies.  Does it?        :o :D :-\

NM_Shooter

I was just wondering where the decent clothes were at this past week.  I needed to buy some new shirts for work, and everything I found was constructed of material that was thin and felt cheap.  No reduction in price though. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

Quote from: NM_Shooter on January 29, 2012, 09:03:06 PM
I was just wondering where the decent clothes were at this past week.  I needed to buy some new shirts for work, and everything I found was constructed of material that was thin and felt cheap.  No reduction in price though.

When my FIL was still living he would just rave about the price of clothing.  His favorite saying was " I used to buy Chambray shirts for $.50"  There are some heavier shirts around Frank but you probably will not find them at most department stores.  I check at Sportsman Guide, Deluth trading , Orvis or Eddie Bauer for a lot of clothing.  They usually have the weight fabric listed. I try to stay with Woolrich or older known companies.