Post & Pier Question

Started by optionguru, April 27, 2007, 11:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

optionguru

The plans show the posts attahced to a bracket that is sunken into the concrete.  I noticed that a few people have put the 4x4 directly into the concrete.  It seems to me that the 4x4 directly in the concrete would have more lateral strength.  Can someone explain the differences or benefits to each.  I'm going to be putting in a deck in wet soil but it seems like it would be much easier to just stick them in the concrete.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Kodakjello

Hi optionguru,

Having steel brackets that the wood posts are bolted to offers two major benefits as far as I can see:

1) It keeps the wood away from the concrete, which would otherwise wick moisture up into the wood.

2) It lets you replace the posts in the future if/when they get rotted. You simply cut the bad part of the post out and bolt a new piece into the metal bracket.

The metal brackets that Simpson Strong Tie has are more than strong enough to provide support for a 4x4 deck post!

Just my $0.02  :)

glenn kangiser

Even  treated wood will last longer on the brackets.  I understand there is foundation grade which is better but I have some boat docks that are treated and rotted internally.  Fungi send out tendrils to wet soil and draw moisture into the wood to decompose it.  How long it lasts depends on how well the wood is treated and other factors.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.