decks supported by house on two sides

Started by MikeT, April 25, 2007, 08:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I asked this question in another person's thread and got no response.  I hope it is clear what I am asking:

I was wondering if one has a positive connection on two sides of a deck (the X and Y axis, if you will), how does that affect the beam and where it is placed?  Or does it simply affect the number and location of support posts?  I would love it if I could get by with just one support post, placed near the far corner.  This is for a small, 8 x 12 deck.

Thanks,
mt

glenn kangiser

Seems you are talking about a deck in a corner?

Would the post be under the end of a beam?  I still don't exactly get the picture.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeT

Yes, Glenn.  The deck would be in a corner, supported on two sides that are perpendicular to one another.  On the corner that is diagonally across from the house supported corner would be a beam that could be supported by one or more posts before it terminates into one side of the house.  So my questions is with the 8 x 12 deck and the beam being 12 feet long, how many posts are required and can I eliminate one or more posts by hanging the beam from one side of the house?

Shall I sketch it out?

mt

PEG688

Sure you can hang it at the house as long as there is wood / lumber to nail or bolt the hanger to. If not thereare hangers made to attach to concrete as well.

The numbe of post depends on the load , if it's just  a deck load will be low , and the size of the beam , bigger beams mean less frequent posts.

So if you had 2x6 joist 16" OC , a 4x8 beam with post ever 4' would be nice .  If you hand your beam it the house and used a 4x12 you could have just two post one at the end or set back a bit , like no more than 2' , a foot or less would be preferable then set the other post mid way between that post and the house , so you'd be spanning less the 6'.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .