Introducing myself

Started by BuildItUrself, April 24, 2007, 09:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuildItUrself

Hello all, just found this board last night and have been reading up on a few of the posts.

Figured I'd introduce myself before I read some more.

I betcha I'll have a whole bunch of questions soon, after I search for the answers first of course  8-)

My hubby and I are in the very beginning stages of building our own house.  We are planning on doing everything ourselves and we already have the land... which we're still paying on, and I have come up with a rough sketch for our home now I just gotta figure out the details.

I was interested in the 1 1/2 story posts that I found here and I am curious as to whether or not building a four foot knee wall on top of the first floor is a good idea or if the better idea is to go with the "ballooned" framing.  We are planning on building our own rafters on site using the old post and beam method.  Not sure exactly how to explain it but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough.

Until next time glad I found this board... and nice to meet y'all :D

ttfn
CV
"The more questions I ask, the more I learn....

and the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know!

So the smarter I get, the dumber I think I am!!"

optionguru

Welcome to the site, I think you'll find that there are a number of very experienced and very helpful people here.
Peter

John_M

I used 12' long 2x6's to frame my 1 1/2 story.  I think it helps it go up faster and makes it a bit more solid.  There are some things you need to do like fire blocking and attaching joists for the second floor, but there are many options. Look around...lots of good info here!!  

Good luck with your project!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

BuildItUrself

Thanks for the welcoming posts!

A little more detail on what we're planning on building;

So far as I have drawn the house will be 30' X 40' with an attached 28' garage.  1 1/2 story with an open "great room".  

You see we've been doing a couple houses for this builder who builds kit log cabins (we own a heating and air conditioning company)... and of course I've fallen for the design on a couple but I don't want to have the expense of the real logs so we're going with a stick built house and I will be installing the "fake" posts and beams to give it that look that I want.  Once I get the plans drawn out on my puter I'll post them and y'all can critique them if ya like :D

ttfn
CV
"The more questions I ask, the more I learn....

and the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know!

So the smarter I get, the dumber I think I am!!"

glenn kangiser

You don't want to build a 4' kneewall on the narrow house as the roof joists will want to push it out - it will hinge at the bottom.  Use the semi-balloon framing to keep from having the hinge point and things will go better.

Post and beam or bearing wall down the center of the wider house could cut down on that problem.  Depends what you want to design.  Speaking of Depends --- PEG is the one who could tell you more.

Were you gong to have an architect or engineer size your beams, footings  and loads etc?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

QuoteSpeaking of Depends --- PEG is the one who could tell you more.

Thanks Glenn :D Poor old PEG :P
None of us are as smart as all of us.

fourx

OK, Glenn, next you're going to tell us a Zimmer Frame is not a construction technique, right? ;)
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

glenn kangiser

I had to mention that, John as PEG is the one who uses Depends the most and in fact is the one who got the rest of us using Depends quite often.  I don't think I have ever used Depends so much in my life as I have since he got me started.

Pete - I didn't know about the Zimmer Frame technique -- I hope  I never have to use it. :-/ :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

[highlight]as the roof joists[/highlight]

Depends what you want to design.  Speaking of Depends --- PEG is the one who could tell you more.

Depends on what roof joist are ::) ;D

There's alway "another way" ,options a plenty , I used to think there where only two , "My way or the highway !" Glenn , yer pushin it >:(  ;D  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I told you PEG -- I'm a steel guy - would rafters be better?  I know -- Yes, Sir, I'll get it right, Sir.

PEG688

Well ya if they rafters that would be mo betta . They could be purlins like you steel dudes use if they ran cross ways  :-/ Guess they'd have to sit on a rafters / truss's or exterior walls on a small building .

You ended well , I guess you'll be able to stay another day , MAYBE! Get ta work , Fred to !   ;D
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Thanks, PEG.  I'm outa here. ;D