Trimmer studs and Hold downs

Started by MikeT, May 01, 2007, 08:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Is it acceptable to use a trimmer stud and a king stud for a hold down?  Or do I have to go with a trimmer stud, king stud, and then another stud with the hold down on the outside of that combination? I am trying to get a window as close as possible to the corner while staying within the prescriptive path.

Thanks,
mt

glenn-k

I don't know the answer to this myself - don't keep up with wood terminology, Mike, but - here is a cool slide show that seems to indicate full length studs - not built up if 4x is req'd.  It says it is spec'd by the architect or engineer.  

Looks like lots of good info with pix.

http://www.abag.ca.gov/bayarea/eqmaps/fixit/ch4/

peg_688

Yes you should be able to place your strap so it falls on a King stud and a window trimmer.

In this case the boss missed the placement by about 2 " putting the strap into the window opening , our ever observant inspector required a engineering report / sign off due to 8 " being trimmed off the top .  >:(

Which lead to a call to Canada where the place was pre built( panelized house built in Pentiction , BC, assemble Island county , Wa. ) we told the project manager we had cut off 8" of said strap, what she , MTL, told the engineer was " Those friggin Yanks cut off a strap!!! What's  the fix??"

So here's the fix ,

Another hold down with a 1/2" threaded rod inbedded 5" deep,  epoxied into the foundation.

As in all things one thing leads to another , when I drilled the first hole beside the king stud  the bit hit one of the many 3"x3" bearing plate that on that wall which is  has "stepped up" foundation, ( foundation is right below the wall plate , no joist bay) so I added another stud to the first stud , so now we have 4 , 2x6's ( some studs , 2 ea. , 1ea.  2x6 trimmerstud , and 1 ea. 2x6 cripple stud   side by side  ::) and more steel and hold downs than a guy should have to use in the whole friggin house .

It [size=56] NUTS[/size]  crazy B/S piled onto more B/S .  

Common sence has long since left the build ::) >:( :'( Another reason housing cost so much, most of it is absoulte BULL$hit!!!

And yes I have a very bad / poor attitude! Mostly toward code officals , and dumb $hit engineers who MTL never build $hit in their friggin lifes.

You may edit as you feel is approiate Mr. Administrator ;)  

glenn-k

With all of those dollar I was unable to read it. :-?

More info.

http://www.abag.ca.gov/bayarea/eqmaps/fixit/training.html

Looks like the type some of fixes I am commonly faced with in the steel work.  Many times I suggest things that are rather easy and the engineer then accepts them after calcing it --or just draws it or approves my drawing.

peg_688

With all of those dollar I was unable to read it. :-?

Yes,  indeed,  mo dollars ::) I gotta get outta this end of the business, maybe I should become one of the enemy opps ,  :-[I mean inspectors ::) >:(

peg_688

Many times I suggest things that are rather easy and the engineer then accepts them after calcing it --or just draws it or approves my drawing.

I have a "no contact order" ( self imposed )  ;D in place for Engineers , remember  my Granny  :o

glenn-k

I kinda liked your granny, but yeah, PEG, You can get riled up sometimes. ;D

MountainDon

I was wondering where that cut off 8 inches was going? Thanks for the update, PEG.  

MikeT

Thanks for the great links, Glenn.  And thanks for the terrific pics, PEG.  I am intrigued that on your pics, it would seem that you are using both PHD2 (or equivalent) hold downs plus MSTC straps.  My plans call for the PHD2 (HPAHD22 is an acceptable alternate strap with a min 8" distance) on the wall to stem wall connection and then the MSTC40 straps for upper floor connections outside the sheathing.

peg_688

Mike the straps you see are these,

LSTHD straps inbedded into the foundation.

The hold down is a HDU 2.5 IIRC , we have no MST straps on this place , we do have these funk dog lil LTP5's

that tie the plates to the box sills as this house come presheeted , with the sheets flush to the bottom of the bottom plate .

I much rather have a plywood / OSB lap joint,( plywood nailed to wall and unbroken / cut to the box sill ). But thats not possible with this type of setup / panelized building.

You get what they build and assemble it per drawings / details .

hobbiest

Cut off 8 inches?  Sounds like a personal problem.  I hate simpson brackets.  You are not too opinionated, not in my opinion.

peg_688

I hate simpson brackets.  

You are not too opinionated, not in my opinion.

Most are a PITB , I agree.

I'm sure a building REJector :o ;D/ inspector  wouldn't share your opinion of my opinions  ;)