Basement Cost

Started by Gladey, March 18, 2007, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladey

For those of you who built on basements, what did you pay for excavation and poured footings? We are thinking about having a basement dug under our (at this point, hypothetical) cabin to improve resale value and just add more space. So what kind of prices might we be looking at for a smallish, block basement?

PA-Builder

Full height basement ?  Crawl Space  ?  Size, i.e. length, width ?  Location ?  Accessibility by trucks  ?

glenn-k

Good points, PA-Builder.  Nice to see you here.  Welcome to the forum.

All of the above can affect the cost of the basement and the cabin.  Also to be considered are methods of keeping it dry - French drain to daylight if on a hill - waterproofing - exposure to water problems.

Gladey

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of info. I was thinking 8 ft. high, 24 x 40, with a french drain. Site is slightly sloped (hoping for a daylight basement) and very accessible. I'm not expecting exact numbers for what this particular project would cost, just wondering what people paid for theirs. Thanks!

PA-Builder

$15,000 - $18,000 at a minimum in South-Central PA.  A lot of factors are involved in this equation.  You're much better off getting at least three bids/estimates from folks in your area.  As Glenn suggested, waterproofing can add thousands itself.

Thanks Glenn.  I've been out of the area for awhile !

glenn-k

Good info.  Thanks.  Don't be a stranger. :)

glenn kangiser

Here is a link to a drainboard similar to what we will be using on the bigger house project.  It comes in 4x50 rolls and cost about $100 per roll wholesale - looks like about .50 psf.  It must be used over another foundation sealer that is put on the concrete and is used to lower head pressure on water outside the foundation by getting it down to the drain faster.  This one claims 15100 lbs per foot crush strength agains backfill pressures.

http://www.deltadry.com/bvf/ca-en/products/foundation_commercial/products/DRAIN6200.php
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.