tough times

Started by diyfrank, December 29, 2008, 08:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

I called in this morning and no work.  This is about week 3.
I had  some snow removal at an apartment complex last week. (2 days)

For some reason, we have no water at our house when I woke up.
I can't hear or see water running anywhere??

I'll go dig the meter up at daylight and see what side of the fault line the prob is.  [waiting] ??? :-\
Home is where you make it

ScottA

Work is always slow around the holidays for me. Hope the water problem isn't yours.

glenn kangiser

Same here unless I have some backlogged which I do a bit .... but then the mood is more like... everyone else is taking it easy - do I want to go out in the cold? hmm

..but I do have to go out and do it..  d*

Work has been a bit to real slow otherwise for a while for some and others are still cruising along... outlook seems like wait and see to me though.. [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

diyfrank

Waters back on... Weird ???

Must of been a fire near by? burst main?

Anyhow, I'm hoping work picks back up after the holidays.
I am getting thing done I didn't have time for before.   ;)

Whitlock

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. All I have to do is dig for my pay check ;D
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

I can dig it ;)  Work is always slow for me this time of year Frank.  Luckily, my wife just got a job as a baker, gets bills paid, but now I have the kids and am not sure how to swing it when I do have work again making 3x what she makes there.  We have been down and out enough times to know that God will pull us through.

My good friend Marc hasn't been able to find work.  He is a web developer.  We are hoping he can find work, or he may have to move to get it.  He and his family are one of the biggest reasons we moved here in the first place.  He just sold his house in OR, so we might take his money and rebuild our outbuilding into a little house for him and his girls.  He and his wife just divorced, so he is having all kind of emotional difficulties too.  Just have to wait and see what the big man has in store.

Sucks waking up to no water.  Had that happen a few times, usually frozen pipes.  Two times here it wasn't, I think some kind of blockage, or rusty hole maybe in our side of main?  If pipes are prone to freeze, you can leave a gentle drip on in bathroom sink, get you through the night until you can get insulation for the pipes.  Don't forget to wrap the elbows too, or it'll freeze there.

All the best
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

diyfrank

Thanks for your words of encouragement everyone. I got the ok to start 2 foundations today. ;D

Jen,
Your a good man. I hope things work out for your friend mark. Divorced and out of work with kids to take care of has to be a very tough time for sure. 

StinkerBell

What is your profession Frank?

diyfrank

Quote from: StinkerBell on December 30, 2008, 01:26:00 PM
What is your profession Frank?

I operate.  I've been mostly doing residential the last ten years. That has just about dried up.

Theres still a few brave ones out there that have money but fewer every day.

The company I work for had around 150 people out in the field getting in a full week this time last year.
I don't think theres more than about 15 of us still going right now.  SCARY!

peternap

Sorry to hear it Frank. Holiday work was always scarce for me too...but...this year is different. I have my opinions as to which way it will go, but they are only opinions. I expect it to pick up this spring. Take advantage of it because I expect it to die off within a year. It's hard to rebuild an economy with play money.

These things always work themselves out. I just don't know how this time.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!