Tool Fail... Skil 7492

Started by NM_Shooter, December 14, 2011, 10:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Rats. 

I was sanding some drawer boxes this morning when my almost-new Skil random orbital sander disintegrated.  I'm bummed... that thing is 16 months old, and this is the third light duty job it has had. 

The drive wheel mounting base is made out of plastic, and the doggone thing just gave up the ghost. 

Since it is 16 months old, I suspect that I am out of luck on any sort of warranty repair.  I've got an email in to the skil folks... sort of a test of customer service.   

I should have known better.  If I wanted Harbor Freight quality, I would have went to harbor freight. 

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

They're all made in the same factory NM!

Their motto:
Uncle Wong's sanders
Ain't nothing finer
come straight to you
on a slow boat from China
c*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Gary O

Quote from: peternap on December 14, 2011, 10:24:11 AM
They're all made in the same factory NM!

Yup
Bought Sear's low end 'CRAFTSMAN' drill press for $100...seldom use one.
Motor smoked after little use (but had it for over a year).
Sealed up. Can't replace the brushes.
Took it back. Sears says they can replace the motor for....$100.
Got one at HFT for $37.......same exact unit, but without the CRAFTSMAN embossed shroud.
Looks like name brands are doing their best (or worst) at trying to contend with low end.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

peternap

Quote from: Gary O on December 14, 2011, 11:00:59 AM
Yup
Bought Sear's low end 'CRAFTSMAN' drill press for $100...seldom use one.
Motor smoked after little use (but had it for over a year).
Sealed up. Can't replace the brushes.
Took it back. Sears says they can replace the motor for....$100.
Got one at HFT for $37.......same exact unit, but without the CRAFTSMAN embossed shroud.
Looks like name brands are doing their best (or worst) at trying to contend with low end.

Yep, and if you pay HF a few bucks for the special warranty, they'll replace the whole thing...no questions asked.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!