Has anyone hired Amish Framers?

Started by Miedrn, September 19, 2006, 01:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miedrn

Just out of curiosity I was wondering how expensive it would be if I were to hire the framing out.

I read a recent post where someone had bartered the framing out and I started thinking.

Gets me into trouble sometimes.

We have quite an Amish community fairly close here and I've known of them framing but I wouldn't know how to contact them or approximately what they charge.

Ideas?

glenn kangiser

I remember someone using them and being well satisfied with the job they did.

Here's a video showing part of an Amish barn raising.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7428487200380416428

Sorry about that. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Miedrn

glenn kangiser

Great -- One of my old favorite performers.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Mark_Chenail

One of the truly gifted and twisted minds of all time. :o :P
mark chenail

MikeT

I used to work with a group of Amish craftsmen in northern Indiana (Nappanee).  I would view them as a resource like any other labor resources.   Their price might be a value, maybe not.  It is up to you.  Don't think for a minute that becuase they live a "simple" life that they are not capitalists.

Mike

Amanda_931

The only people I know around who hired (well, Mennonites, in this case--there are both in the area) them ended up--oops--widening their plans at the last minute.   The materials had mostly been bought before the decisions was made, the shell house was put up without framing members being recalculated.

With the result that could have been predicted.   :-[   :-/   ::)

(I don't know if the carpenters yelled at the owners at the time--but two years later there was some serious repair/remodeling by the owner and one hired man)

Framing's kind of fun.  No big thing if you hit the wood instead of a nail, just bashing away--until you get to raftrs, then cutting should be precision.  Probably need some help, though.  Especially if you've never done any of it.  And sometimes it's heavy work.

hunter63

I had my log cabin built by the Amish. Price was right, good value, good quality.

But, it was on their terms.
They built it in a very large barn,( cabin factory as it were) and was some what difficult to get them to change the way they did stuff.

They don't have phones, at least of their own. Didn't seem to have a problem getting calls at the neighbors, (they paid them), or calling you back. Except on Sunday, no business conducted on Sunday!

They don't drive cars, trucks, tractors or anything with rubber tires. Again that doesn't stop them from owning them, and hiring the driving out.

They don't have electricity. They will use yours. If you have it.

They don't seem to have a problem with gas or diesel motors. I have never seem so many different things running w/ gas motors as I did at their barn (factory). Even the table saw had a 3hp Honda motor.
Saws and mills are diesel powered.

Soooo, getting ahold of them is a problem, need to find one at a local farmers market, or produce stand and ask.
As they don't drive, the logistics of getting a crew to and from the site is a problem.
If enough money is involved, something can be worked out. As always, money talks.

They do have a good work ethic. Cabin was delivered on Monday, they showed up at 7:00 A.M. Tues, built a 40' X 8' covered porch and were down the road by 2:00 P.M. ( 5 guys), showed up w/ trailer loaded with lumber, nothing pre-cut and built it on site. Don't have a problem with chain saws either.

As always, this was my experience, and I can't say if all of them are the same

John_M

I had originally looked into having them do the framing for me but in my opinion, their price was a bit higher than I thought it would be.  

Wound up framing it myself with lots of help from family and friends.  Took a lot longer, but I now have satisfaction of doing things on my own.

I did use them for my 4 x 12 beams and T & G flooring though, great quality!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!