Alone in the Wilderness

Started by Whitlock, December 26, 2008, 11:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitlock

This guy knows how to build a cabin the hard way.  not the whole video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfB6oJ55wM
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

StinkerBell

I watched the entire series on PBS, thrice!

MountainDon

11 x 15 foot cabin.  :D

He built it in 68, lived in it till the late 90's I believe; there are some clips of a visit to it in '07. It's now maintained by the NPS, IIRC.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sonoran

That was cool. I enjoyed watching him make those cuts.
Individuality: You are all unique, just like everybody else.

MountainDon

For those who may be interested, the book and the DVD is available.  I remember being enthralled by the book and then mesmerized by the film/video.

I'm not sure I'd want to relive his experience on my own any more, but I think I may order a DVD for myself. Maybe I'll watch it some winter, snowed in at our Jemez cabin.  :D   Ya, I've got a TV and DVD player in the cabin.  :o

Go to:

http://www.dickproenneke.com/alone_in_the_wilderness.html

Packages for DVD's and book are available
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

I wonder if the sportsmans guide has one for Glenn ???

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 27, 2008, 02:02:40 AM
[noidea' whaaat? hmm [waiting]

What do you mean Whaaat? [slap] rofl rofl

One of your other posts-

I have had so many good things reasonably priced from the Sportsman's Guide, John, I think I am addicted.  Boots - pants- bullets-machete- I could be a poster boy for them...

And the poster boy part,Maybe if they start selling birth control pills [rofl2]

glenn kangiser

You are SOoooooOh-oh funny... I forgot to laugh....  [slap] [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

This is a great film, available at most libraries.  It is one of my families favorites.  I asked people about it a year or two ago, and Glen thought I was talking about a book.  Not the same thing though.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

Cool movie. Thanks for posting it.

Whitlock

If you can find a copy of it get it the short clip only shows a little of him building his cabin.
He films himself building the cabin from start to finsh on the DVD. It is amazing what he does with only axe hand saw and chisel

StinkerBell

I enjoyed watching him build the door lock to keep bears out and making a wooden cooking spoon.

Jens

My nine year old's favorite part, is when he makes the door hinges out of wood.  Gotta say it appeals to the mechanical engineer in me as well.  I am a big fan of the fireplace part.  I guess that is the caveman in me.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

NM_Shooter

That looks fantastic. 

I can't help but wonder what he did for the essentials that he could not make... ammunition, flour, film, etc.  Does the video / book go into any detail on how he acquired those?  Traded fur for $$?

What amazing insight to record that all on film.   Is he still alive, or did the return to civilization kill him?

-f-

Ahhh... here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

StinkerBell

Squirl

The book goes into detail.  He had a friend that had a plane and would fly in and land on the lake he built around.  He had some money saved up from working up there for a while.  Enough to retire on.

Jens

Quote from: Squirl on December 30, 2008, 12:42:09 PM
The book goes into detail.  He had a friend that had a plane and would fly in and land on the lake he built around.  He had some money saved up from working up there for a while.  Enough to retire on.

Wouldn't take too much either.  He grew some veggies, hunted some game.  Could probably do it on $500 or less for the year.  Heck, my family could probably do on that with his situation; no taxes, no utilities, little food cost, no medical bills, no "entertainment", no home improvement stores around...I really don't need to be thinking like this right now. d*