Anyone Experience w/High Altitude Build?

Started by happylogan, June 29, 2007, 06:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happylogan

Greetings; Does anyone have build experience or living experience with a dwelling 10,000ft +/- ?  What were the biggest surprises and what are some tips

thanks
HL  

MountainDon

It Depends.  :)  What altitude is your home at now?

The higher altitudes have less air available to breath; that means a lower supply of O2. That will make you tired and sleepy until you acclimatize. It also means that a generator will have lessened output; something in the order of a drop of about 3% for every 1000 feet above sea level! Same thing applies to your naturally aspirated car/truck. Your body can generate more red blood cells to help make up for your personal performance drop. No such luck with internal combustion engines. You'd need to turbo/supercharge the engine.

The temperature will fall much more quickly when the sun sets, gets clouded over, at the higher altitudes.

Propane burning appliances may need to be adjusted to the lessened air supply.

I moved from 760 feet to 5400 feet a couple decades ago.More recently we've acquired property at 8700+ feet. My real life experiences include...

The RV generator has more trouble starting the A/C unit (solved with a larger second capacitor on the A/C motor. It won't start the A/C at all if any other major power user is online (microwave).

My old Suzuki WJ410 4x4 couldn't get out of it's own way at  10,000 feet.

A carbureted engine has a tougher time time than fuel injected. Carbs get too rich.

I needed a nap every day for a couple weeks at first.

Beer fizzes more.

Cooking by boiling or steaming takes longer. Some baking recipes need ingredient/temperature adjustments.

Growing season is much shorter.

Elk and deer walk through as if they owned the place.   ::)  We'll see about that come fall.

Radio - controlled airplanes fly like lead bricks.

Inexperienced private plane pilots fly into mountains.

The snow gets really deep.

happylogan

Does anyone have have first hand build experience? Anything structural to put on a must have or must do list?? I understand the windfield may be more instense. Shrinking, swelling, settling... anyone have info on that.  I spoke with a structural engineer who said the standard building code is followed- but that the roof pitch and structural ties are modified.  He mentioned something about a structural modification per the windfield at 10K ft.   :D

guyromano

My Colorado propety is at a little over 9000 feet. I haven't started any construction but you might get some insights or advice on who to contact for it from Rocky Mountain Truss Company, Inc. 414 Alan Rd
Powell, WY , 82435-9267  
Phone: 307-754-0693
FAX: 307-754-5376

I was told a trus is required in Grand County for any roof span over 12 feet.

I have an easy truss framed house concept which I hope to use to get my building shell closed in quickly on a pier and post foundation.  Then I can work any time of year on finishing the inside out of the weather. (read more about it under DIY Floor Truss Help Needed in the third-listed forum group on the forum menu page).

You might also want to contact the county building inspector for some advice regarding your questions.  He may also provide you with a discouraging poopload of requirements, but you will get over that if you want it as much as I want it.

Please post whatever you learn so I can learn from you and I will do the same.  Thanks, Joe ;)