Old Refrigerator

Started by peternap, December 16, 2010, 09:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

We just replaced our old refrigerator (With a fancy stainless industrial one that Jane just had to have >:(). It still works but I don't have anyplace to put it even if I need extra power draining refrigeration.

I'm thinking about putting it in the boat house and keeping powder in it with a pot of dry rice to absorb moisture.

Any problems with that? ???
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

I wonder how many readers wonder what "powder" you're thinking of. Baking powder?  Don't see why that would have any issues storing gunpowder in there?  Would you mind drilling holes and installing a padlock to keep inquisitive children, kid size or adult, out of where they should not be?

You could also try asking at a wood stove dealer for desiccant packs. Our VC Aspen came packed with two packs that weighed in at about a pound each.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on December 16, 2010, 10:18:48 AM
I wonder how many readers wonder what "powder" you're thinking of. Baking powder?  Don't see why that would have any issues storing gunpowder in there?  Would you mind drilling holes and installing a padlock to keep inquisitive children, kid size or adult, out of where they should not be?

You could also try asking at a wood stove dealer for desiccant packs. Our VC Aspen came packed with two packs that weighed in at about a pound each.

;DDorry...GUNPOWDER!

I'll check with the woodstove people.
Thanks!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Shawn B

Peter,

You could install a 60 watt light bulb in the fridge and the heat will drive out any moisture. A factory I worked at stored welding rods that way. Easier and probably cheaper than buying dry ice. Could cycle the light on/off with a timer or thermostat too.

Have heard of using them for a small root cellar too.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford