metal roof ?'s

Started by Crappie Slayer, October 22, 2011, 06:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappie Slayer

Can anyone tell me the technical term for the stuff that goes in between the ridge cap and the other sheets of metal on the peek of the roof.  Is there a special gap stuff... kinda like the foam stuff that goes under the regular sheets between the roof.  I got them at the metal place, but they did not say anything about the ridge cap gap?

Anyways, I am new to the metal roof thing,, I just need to know if there is anything that goes under the ridge cap....

Everyone on here has been very helpful and I really appreciate it.  Thanks Everyone.

Chris
aka. Crappie Slayer

Alan Gage

Do you have a vented ridge?

If so most people around here use that plastic brillo pad stuff, can't remember the name.

Otherwise, as was mentioned earlier, there is cobravent or coravent.

I made my own:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7935459@N05/sets/72157627621259905/detail/

If you aren't using a vented ridge cap and just need to seal it up tight there are closure strips similar to what's used at the eave (but molded in reverse) or you can use this stuff:

http://www.emseal.com/Products/Specialty/MetalBuilding/ASTUniversalClosure.htm

All anyone around here carries is the 1" so that's what I was stuck using. I would have rather had the next size thicker. I was using it for the hip caps so I was running them at an angle. I think it would have sealed better otherwise (little gaps at the transitions of each ridge).

Alan

Redoverfarm

I too went on the cheap and constructed my own.  I used fiberglass window screen covered with 1/4" hardware cloth (rabbit wire).  Window screen for the insects and wire for the larger( flying squirrels, squirrels in general and bats).  All were attached across the ridge opening to the sheeting.

RIjake

Quote from: Alan Gage on October 22, 2011, 07:17:03 PM

If so most people around here use that plastic brillo pad stuff, can't remember the name.

That's the Cobra vent.

Check out the link.  I don't know how you could come up with something cheaper on your own, that stuff is pretty cheap.

Alan Gage

Quote from: RIjake on October 23, 2011, 07:11:59 AM
That's the Cobra vent.

Check out the link.  I don't know how you could come up with something cheaper on your own, that stuff is pretty cheap.

I wasn't looking for cheaper, just better (more venting).

Alan