Structural Insulated Panels ?

Started by cbc58, November 30, 2010, 10:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithbien

That's a great looking project, Don.  The foil works great with that air barrier above it.  I had been thinking of using a bubble foil or other radiant barrier, but it never made sense because it was always going to be in direct contact with materials (sandwiched) and not doing a lot of good.  Thanks for all the great comments.  I am seeing that hand made panels can be done.  I am still not seeing how you screw through 5" of foam and a 2x.  That means like a 7+ inch screw. The only thing I know that can do that well is a Timberlock type lag.  They are pretty pricey.  How many per foot do you need to insure a good bond to the framing?  I am really liking this forum.  I got here from the permies.com forum and it has its place, but I really appreciate the solid experience behind the replies I have seen here so far.  

Don_P

Yes they were one of the large head "oly" type screws... which are the same ones you use to attach sips to a TF. They are not cheap. IIRC I think they were specced on 12" ctrs. In a high wind zone it would be worth talking to an engineer. Since the rafters were on 4' and the sleepers were on 2' we had long ones to bite into the rafters and short ones to  bite into the decking without poking thru on the others. The layers of foam were cut to offset the joints.

duncanshannon

fwiw, i'm leaning twoards sips more these days.  (build is a few years out, so i'm sure i'll go back and forth at least a few times between now and then!).

I think the stick frame would be more enjoyable and satisfying to build but at this point, I think i need to 'compromise' on the SIP's for the time savings.  I have convenants that say the exterior needs to be complete 1 year from the beginning of excavation... and with young kids etc.  There will certainly be plenty of other work to be done, but with the speed of getting to dry-in with the SIPs... its prob. going to seal the deal (pun intended!). 

There is one place Extreme Panel (www.extremepanel.com) in sw minnesota that I may go check out. I'm going to build in NW Wisconsin so will prob. look for another place closer. 

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

MushCreek

I've thought about, and am still thinking about SIP's. Do some research on metal SIP's; that's the way I'll go. Lighter, stronger, and no spline to conduct heat where the panels join. They are also weatherproof once assembled- commercial buildings can be left that way without further siding. Just a though....
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

duncanshannon

Quote from: MushCreek on April 16, 2011, 11:28:51 AM
...metal SIP's; that's the way I'll go. Lighter, stronger, and no spline to conduct heat where the panels join. They are also weatherproof once assembled- commercial buildings can be left that way without further siding.....

Metal SIP's... sounds kind of intense.  Do you have any good links for info?  What are you finding out about cost relative to OSB?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

MushCreek

This is a good site, since they post pricing. I don't know what's available near you. Metal SIP's are actually where the industry came from- they are used to build walk-in refrigerators and freezers.
http://www.sipdepot.com/
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.