Black PVC pipe

Started by Kiwi55, December 22, 2008, 12:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi55

I have some black PVC pipe in the house I am renting. I want to extend the piping (with landlords permission).
Is black PVC the same as white? Can I use regular PVC glue to connect new white PVC to the black?
Thanks...Paul

glenn kangiser

The only black PVC I have seen is flex.  It uses the same glue but I have never seen it in a house - only irrigation systems.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

The black is used for drains (sinks toilets)on a lot houses. You can use the same glue, I would try to find some black to use instead of white it is more resitant to contamiaminated water. But if white is all you have it will last a long time.Also the white my not fit.

Good luck,W
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

The drain pipe if that is what it is is likely ABS and not for water supplies - the only black PVC I could think of is flex.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Kiwi55... how have you determined that the pipe is PVC and not something else.

PVC pipe that is suitable for plumbing supply lines is fairly rigid and thicker walled than the PVC that is black and used for irrigation lines. Supply line PVC is either white or grey; mostly white, the grey is schedule 80. Use schedule 40 for all supply lines.

Let it be noted that PVC is only permitted for COLD water lines. Plastic pipe for HOT water lines must be CPVC. That said I'd use CPVC for both hot and cold as the fittings and glue are different. I don't believe in the multi purpose glues, not when it comes to water pipes under pressure.

I believe the maximum temperature rating of PVC is 120 degrees; it's stamped on all PVC, CPVC pipes. I don't know if ABS is rated for potable water use I don't think so though as it is not as strong as PVC.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Kiwi55

It is on the drain system. I've never seen black for sale anywhere.

I guess I'll see if a standard PVC coupler fits, otherwise I'll use a rubber type coupler.

...Paul

Kiwi55

Quote from: MountainDon on December 22, 2008, 03:09:15 PM
Kiwi55... how have you determined that the pipe is PVC and not something else.

It's rigid like normal PVC and has glued fitting just like normal PVC. It's 1 1/2 dia and on the drain side.

...Paul

MountainDon

If it's black and in a drain it's ABS.
Different glues.
You should be able to find ABS and all the ABS fittings you need to carry on the extension.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

What don said.

Or, use a  rubber furnco and couple it to pvc which is suitable for drains, just seldom used.
You should try to use the same as already installed when ever possible.
Home is where you make it

Kiwi55

ABS... I learn something new every day.

I'll look for ABS to complete the job.

Many Thanks...Paul

JRR

You might read a few pages of the following for some more info:
http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/plumbing/plum_1.htm
... its getted a bit dated however.  Don't think it covers PEX and other new things.