Roof venting

Started by dogneck, September 02, 2008, 06:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogneck

Sorry Peg,

My home web went out again for five days.  I was off three days last week to do the framing.    Cello looks like it should hold up.

dogneck

Peg-  Some people say to drill all the way through and put a machine screw completely thru it.     Yours should hold up-  unless someone steps on it again.   

dogneck

Under my topic on roof venting- in "plans support".  John Raabe drew a sketch showing the roof venting by having the roofer make a flashing and vent.    I understand that.  Thanks.  The thing that threw me off was that on the sketch he also wrote "side venting".   As a beginner, now I'm lost -  where is the side venting.   In John's sketch the air goes from the lower wall soffit through the cavity above the insulation in the roof joists and out the upper end through the flashing/vent.    What I was planning on doing, because of rain,  I worked all summer and will be lucky to get the roof on.    I am going to use 2x10 on 16" centers with 1/2 osb roof sheating, then I will cover it with a roll roof,  just for the winter.  Next year, I'll put a metal roof on top of that.  It's been a rough weekend.  I had finished a wall section and lifted it to a sawhorse.   When I stopped to "rest"  the wind blew it and the whole thing slid into the ground.  I had to just a come-along to jack it back to the platform.  I was lucky, the 10" OSB overhang at the bottom did not even break-off. 

PEG688

Bummer.

I guess you missed my pivot nail tip eh. Toe nail the wall plate to the snapped line then tip up the wall . the pivot nails prevent the wall from slipping.

I'll look at you vent question tonight after work.

You said your a luther? I liked to hear more about that, what you work on mainly , where , big city I'd think. How that all works , do you build new , or mostly repair that sort of stuff.

Glad you didn't get hurt.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

Quote from: dogneck on September 15, 2008, 07:09:41 AM

The thing that threw me off was that on the sketch he also wrote "side venting".   As a beginner, now I'm lost -  where is the side venting.   

I looked at John's post in plans support it says "Side wall venting" which is a "construction name" as he's showing the vent in the side of the wall or commonly called a side wall vent.

Don't over think it , you should still bore a few holes for the trapped bays above and below the sky lights just above the baffle or IN the space above  the insulation.

Cor-A-vent has a new roof to wall or side wall vent  , at least to me I noticed the ad in Fine Home Building this month.

Here's the link : http://www.roof-2-wall.com/

A minimum 3/12 roof pitch is required for Roof-2-Wall application.   NOTE: Installer is responsible for sealing ends of vent for each specific application.

Due to the wide variety of material choices and possible installation options, it is the installer's responsibility to seal the vent assembly's ends with appropriate method and materials to prevent weather infiltration

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

dogneck

I was confused,  I thought he meant also some type of venting  along the  side of the building. d* (In addition to where the roof meets the wall.