Cisterns anyone still build/design homes for them?

Started by Dimitri, May 06, 2008, 10:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desdawg

A couple of things I forgot to mention.  When installing an underground plastic tank make sure it is designed for underground installation. If you bury a tank that was designed for above ground use it will not withstand the pressure of the aarth when backfilled. Also make sure you vent the tank so the pump doesn't create a vacuum effect and collapse the sidewalls. I have seen both of these things happen. In fact I once saw a concrete tank that had the floor pulled out of it because it wasn't vented. A few PVC fittings to create a gooseneck above ground is all it takes. The tank supplier can provide a "bulkhead" fitting to use when making the tank penetration. This cuts in easily with a hole saw and has inner threads on both sides for screwing a male pipe thread into. It seals to the tank with rubber gaskets.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

For large quantity as desdawg mentions could be best.  Other options - bladder tanks can be added directly to your pressure line - as many as wanted - just add a T and hook them on.

The solar pump option could be good if you have enough solar, but if not you may be out of water.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

davidj

Quote from: desdawg on May 12, 2008, 09:39:34 AM
Also make sure you vent the tank so the pump doesn't create a vacuum effect and collapse the sidewalls.
I think this would have been the bit I would have learned about the hard way.   I can just picture the dilemma - do I fix the fresh water system that slows down the more water we pull, or do I investigate the sink hole in the yard?  Probably a good "learning experience" to avoid...

Thanks for all the advice - I think I might go for this.  Except for the digging it out by hand part! 

desdawg

It's like in the old days when you opened a beverage can with a churchkey. You punched both sides of the can so as liquid was removed it was replaced by air.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

CREATIVE1

We have a well and a gravity feed from a 1000 gallon tank about 125 feet above the buildable part of our property.  We're not living there yet (and intend to continue using the tank when we do) but have had breaks in the PVC pipe going both from the well and down the hill.  Any suggestions about a better system when we are living there?  None if it is buried, by the way, and that would be hard to do because of an uneven slope and lots of trees.

glenn kangiser

I think you are in a freeze area, aren't you? 

Burying is about the best way.  Not possible even with a good machine?  4 wheel drive ditch witch trencher or trackhoe?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Robbo

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 10, 2008, 12:45:21 PM
We have a similar situation here, desdawg.  Many mountain places here get deliveries from a water truck.

We put in a 2600 gallon plastic storage tank on the mountain and fill it from our 1 gpm well.  Sort of a cistern.

Hi Glenn

A couple of questions.  1) What's your annual rainfall there.  2) How do you get the water for your garden - do you recycle?

Cheers

Robbo

desdawg

Creative 1,
It would seem you would have to get your water line buried somehow to protect it from freezing. I haven't used Pex tubing yet myself but was attracted to that product because if it does freeze it is not supposed to burst. It will expand and contract without breaking. And if I understand correctly it is approved for direct burial. It comes in a roll so you should be able to put it in without fittings if your distance is shorter than a roll length. You may want to check that out.

glenn kangiser

Hi Robbo

1. Our annual rainfall is generally between 25 and 50 inches per year however this year I heard we only got 19.  We also have a good snow pack on the Sierra Nevada mountains to the east that provides water to the area - aquifers etc.

2. We have a water well here that produces 1 gallon per minute.  I have a standard 1.5 horsepower 240v water pump that runs off of my 2 Trace 4024 4000 watt sine wave inverters (stacked for 240v or 120v) I set a cheap 15 minute timer to go off ever 2 hours 5 to 7 times per day or anytime excess power is available.  The dump load for over voltage turns on the pup to burn off the power - my own Okie rigged setup using 2 Ford car relays to control a 120/240 v relay turning on the pump.

This method of timing maximizes use of solar while the sun is up preventing losing a lot of power from inefficient storage, prevents battery overcharging and dumping power because we can't use it.

We also have a 1/2 gpm spring at the bottom of the mountain, but it would cost more to pump from than the well - 450 feet elevation drop to the spring - probably 1500 feet distance.  It's always there for emergency though and great water.

I plan to use gray water for a flower garden and above ground vegetables possibly --set up my plumbing to do that -- haven't done it yet but probably will this year.