Umpteenth Framing Nailer thread

Started by Squirl, May 23, 2012, 12:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CjAl

I bought the bostic from home depot as a return item and got like $100 off. home depot offers no questions asked return for like 30 or 60 days and people always buy tools and use them for one job and return them. they then send them off to be cleaned and inspected. it came with full warrentee and the same return policy.

it is a clipped head nailer but it shoots the paslode full head nails just fine. Use them all the time.

I don't even have a generator. I use a 2500 watt power invertor hooked to either my suburban battery or the 4 batteries on my semi if I don't want to be running the burb all the time. It runs my pancake compressor and all my power tools. The semi also has onboard air I can use for the nailer if I care to go that way but a gallon an hour to idle the truck gets pricey fast

rick91351

Quote from: flyingvan on May 24, 2012, 04:48:12 PM
The framing nailer I use from Northern Tools can be adjusted to various angles

The multi angle from Northern Tool and HF both work good every time I am around them.  I bought a low priced 'high end gun' from HF  ??? last year to shoot 2.5 inch ring shanks.  And hey I had a coupon ether way I was not out a lot..... I bought it to mainly to nail the battens on to the shop.   Very sub par even for a HF.  Jammed a lot and holds like only one and a half strips in the magazine.  After I was done I noticed it was limbering up and not jamming near as much.  Good points were it is lighter and 21 degree so it does have its up side. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Squirl

Thanks rick.  That was one of the things I was curious about.  It had one of the worst ratings on their own site and the most common complaint was jamming.  I am usually fine with most of their tools, but I was trying to factor in the possible risk of exchange time and costs

Erin

Quote from: Don_P on May 30, 2012, 05:19:57 AM
I guess I feel kind of obligated to throw in warnings and wet blankets... A gun shoots faster than a hand drive so think before squeezing the trigger. I've most often been tagged by nails in one of two ways. Pulling something tight and having my hand directly behind where I'm shooting, the nail pokes thru and there you are. The second is having the nail deflect while it is driving and coming out somewhwere other than intended, and there was my hand again. The easy way to avoid either is to make sure your hand is further away from the gun than the length of the driven nail, plus a little bit. Sounds stupid, but then I haven't had a intelligent accident yet  :D.
And this is precisely why I have yet to invest in one, despite the fact that hand nailing is exacerbating my carpal tunnel syndrome...
90% of the time I work alone and I can see the day I nail myself to a board and am stuck there until one of my children wanders out to see why I haven't started supper...   ::)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

Jens

In the case of having such constraints on building (distance, cost to get there), time is money.  For my money, I'd hit up a pawn shop for a gas compressor, and a hitachi or bostich nailer.  I own bostich, hitachi, and porter cable.  They all have their advantages/disadvantages.  You must have depth of drive adjustment for nailing sheathing, or adjust the regulator on the compressor.  If the nailer and compressor cost you a total of $900 dollars (I think that would be very high), That is the same as 5 trips to the site.  If you count your driving time in those 5 trips, against what you make per hour at work-especially if you can get overtime- it sometimes pencils out very well.

Nails are usually about the same cost per pound whether hand or pneumatic. 

BTW, I didn't read the whole thread, just wanted to put my 2c in FWIW.  Gotts ta go.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Squirl

Jens! Haven't heard from you in a while.

Did you hear that?  That was the sound of me slapping my head in my duh moment.  d*  I should have checked the pawn shops for a cordless Hitachi.

considerations

I ended up with a Hitachi as well.  Treat it like a gun, cause it is, and you will be fine.  ;D

Don_P

It is about half a 22 but alas a low speed tumbling bullet, the turkey kept on walking. I've always worked with bump fire guns, I have our first single shot, Michelle hates the thing and has asked me to convert it over several times. But the bump fire comes at a steep safety cost. I had a coworker shoot me in the wristwatch once, talk about eyes as big as saucers. I handed one of our guns to a homeowner once and the first thing he did was double shoot and got his hand. If you're ever around one of these guns here's the deal, don't push in and hold yourself in that muscle tone. You'll shoot, the recoil will push you off and your muscles locked in push mode wil take you back in for a second or even a third shot with the gun rising each time. Let the recoil blow you back and do not return unless it is intentional. In a furniture shop I worked beside a guy that had a bored and polished gun and could hold his muscle tension just right. You would just hear a 5 second burst and the magazine sliding open for 3 more clips, 75 nails  :o. I just plugged along and enjoyed the show.

CjAl

i dont think anyone how doesnt use a gun often should use bump fire. i had mine set for bumpbfire and my wife also begged me to chamge it back. for the sake of saving an argument i did it.  you also will have less jams in single shot if you have a more jam prone gun.